alternator help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator help

Maybe im just not thinking right today but i have a gm 3 wire in a 63 champ p/u and i have the alternator wires correct. #1 to acc of ignition #2 pos. post of altetnator and a wire running from pos. post of alternator to the battery pos. But when the #1 is to the acc the truck wont shut off then when its on the hot or pos. side of the igniton it shuts off but will drain the battery. what could be wrong?

Thanks
    Ryan

"Theoretically", there should be no way that current can get to the ignition side of the switch from the accessory side of the switch with the key in the off position.

Also, with the #1 wire to to the ignition side of the switch, the car should keep running in the off position since the alternator will back feed the ignition.

Maybe what you think is the accessory side of the switch is actually the ignition side and visa versa?

There should not be an internal ground on the #1 terminal of the alternator to produce a battery drain. I'm not electrical expert, but I'd say there is probably something wrong with the rectifier/brush pack in the alternator to allow this to happen.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think that if you don't have an idiot light, you need a diode in the wire coming from the ignition switch

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I think that if you don't have an idiot light, you need a diode in the wire coming from the ignition switch

That's true if you hook up the #1 wire to the IGN pole on the ignition switch (or the + side of the coil). If you hook to the ACC side of the ignition switch, there is no way juice can get to the ignition with the key in the off position.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

It may be that your ACC and ignition feed are connected somehow due to some wiring cross up. Disconnect ignition wire from switch and see if it will run. It could also be a bad switch.

Comment

I needed the diode its working correctly now thanks for the feed back everyone.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
            X