original vs custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• original vs custom

After looking at pictures from shows on this forum for about 3 years now I am wondering what members think the percentage is of Studes that are original vs custom. For org. I mean not 100% but maybe for this discussion any Stud motor and body panels in tack. My guess is 50/50?????

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

To my way of thinking there should be 3 classes Original-Modified-Custom.There are a lot more modified than original. I look at customs as a wild body change.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

I am in agreement with the three classes. I also think Customs are the wild Barris looking cars. I will now change my percentage to 30% org., 60% modified and 10% custom.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

We are easily half-modified Studebakers, and half mostly stock.
        Even a devout purist in our chapter has slightly-modified-from-stock Studebaker trucks and coupes.

Chris Pile
        Midway Chapter SDC
        The Studebaker Special
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Over the years, I have noticed a steady increase in the number of modified Studes at meets and a change in the attitudes of members. There was a time that Turning Wheels rarely showed pictures of modified cars and received flak from purists if they did. Now as time goes on,original parts are more expensive, and more people enter the club that just want to enjoy their cars the attitude towards modified cars is more tolerant. I like all Studebakers, but like heavily modified cars the least because they lose their identity.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I don't like the ones that have been changed for the sake of change. Studebaker is the world's best design; period. That's why I have three. There are many changes I can accept in the mechanical aspect, but far fewer in the looks department. Mechanical upgrades include disc over drum, electronic ignition, better power steering, and overdrive automatics; to name a few. In twenty more years we'll see many a Studebaker with airbags and abs brakes as well. Preservation of the Studebaker identity should be respected.

Comment

Although attitudes are changing and modifieds are becoming more accepted there is, unfortunately a relatively small number of Studebaker folks that make those with modifieds seek refuge elsewhere. I, as most here do, welcome all Studebakers. (I'd better with an R1 engine in my Champ and soon to have a GM automatic in my Cruiser.) If we all do not start walking in the that direction a lot of good folks will leave our number.

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I'd agree with a differentiation between a "modified" class and a "custom" class (with modified = stock vehicle with a few modern improvements, etc.).
                When I bought my truck a previous owner had installed a modern wiring harness throughout with a modern fuse panel mounted near the instrument cluster in the engine compartment. While I like to keep my truck "stock", there is no way I'm ripping out the new wiring and fuse panel to go back in time to the original type wiring! [B)]

That said, I certainly do not consider my truck to be "modified" which would be the proper class under the current rules.
                'Course I'm not really interested in having it judged at any rate as I really wanted a driver, not a TQ. []

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island Chapter
                http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

I have been waiting for a topic just like this to gather opinions. Feel free here,
                  I have a 52 2door hard top commander and although I have the front end that goes on it have decided to go with the bullet nose.
                  I've allready confirmed that I have 51 front fenders and a 50 center piece and it does all work.
                  Am I making a mistake?
                  I am going to keep all my 52 front end parts for future use if I decide to go back but I love the bullet nose look.
                  What does the group here think? Dont worry you won't hurt my feelings. Dean Pearson.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dean pearson

I have been waiting for a topic just like this to gather opinions. Feel free here,
                    I have a 52 2door hard top commander and although I have the front end that goes on it have decided to go with the bullet nose.
                    I've allready confirmed that I have 51 front fenders and a 50 center piece and it does all work.
                    Am I making a mistake?
                    I am going to keep all my 52 front end parts for future use if I decide to go back but I love the bullet nose look.
                    What does the group here think? Dont worry you won't hurt my feelings. Dean Pearson.
                    Use the bulletnose.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Boy, this does get confusing. Mark, as I understand it, your truck would not be in the modified class, for SDC judging... It would be in the CUSTOM class.
                      Actually, they changed that to "Non Stock Studebaker Powered" and "Non Stock Non Studebaker Powered"...

Division 8: Non-Stock, Studebaker Powered

* All Vehicles and Trucks (Custom/Modified), All years

Division 9: Non-Stock, Non-Studebaker Powered

* All Vehicles and Trucks (Custom/Modified), All years

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dean

The only question you need to ask is: Does it make me smile?

Yes means go for it.

We all have opinions and you probably could not get us all to agree that sugar is sweet.

Just build what you like.

I must admit that when I joined the forum I wasn't sure how the members would accept my idea of a 54K. There has been a wide range of opinions but I must say that they all have been civil and, in fact, quite forthcoming when I've asked for help.

I don't see the forum as a bunch of vultures ready to pounce on other members concepts in cars. I've ranted on other issues but still think the members have a high level of acceptance for a single marque forum. Particularily when you consider the age and brand loyality of a significant number of the members.

So go for it. The rest of us are not experts on what makes you happy. Kripe,I have enough trouble trying to figure out what makes me happy.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

quote:Originally posted by Mark57That said, I certainly do not consider my truck to be "modified" which would be the proper class under the current rules.
                          Boy, this does get confusing. Mark, as I understand it, your truck would not be in the modified class, for SDC judging... It would be in the CUSTOM class.

Dave, From Oklahoma
                          Sorry - My error! [:0] I meant to say "custom"! Otherwise, I think you and I are on the same page - and as far as liking all of them too! [^]

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island Chapter
                          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

I agree with Matthew - use the Bulletnose. Been done already, but looks good! Not too many hardtops have been customized, and there is still a good supply of originals.
                            I also agree with Joe about needing to include everyone in the club.
                            BUT, it is beginning to bother me that an original '53/''54 C or K body is a real rarity!! If you see a good original for sale,wait for one in worse shape (there are lots of rusty ones out there. You won't have to wait long!) Leave the good original ones alone. Try to find an original for sale and you'll see what I mean. It seems like a ratio of 25:1 customized vs. original.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                            47 M-5
                            Izzer Buggy
                            Junior Wagon
                            Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                            61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                            Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                            Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

When you are heading down the highway all people see is that it's a Studebaker and some don't have a clue what it is. They don't see the drive train. STUDEBAKER DRIVERS CLUB. Drive them and enjoy them the way you want to enjoy them...

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Working...
                              X