Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We know the factory was incorrect, but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We know the factory was incorrect, but.....

As all Avanti owners know, the gas tank does not hold twenty one gallons of fuel, regardless of what Studebaker claimed....so the question becomes..... how much fuel an Avanti holds.....I would guess no more than 18 gallons...but since I have no definitive way to establish same I thought someone out there would have the answer.
    Thanks in advance for the actual answer.

Funny you should ask. Yesterday, I determined that my gas gauge is off calibration, and the fuel actually runs out at just below 1/4 tank indicated. Unfortunately, I was traveling at 65 mph when I learned of this error. Fortunately, I was near enough to the exit ramp to escape. I digress.

The tank was, for all practical purposes, empty. I added about 2 gallons from a gas can, and then proceeded to the nearest filling station. There, I added 17.8 gallons. So, I would say that the tank will hold about 20 gallons.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

I would gather the only true wayto know is if someone had one off the car, and actually filled it with water via 5 gallon containers.

From what you stated I think 19 gallons would be correct..years ago I ran out of gas and was towed to a station...tank was filled and it was less than 20

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Funny you should ask. Yesterday, I determined that my gas gauge is off calibration, and the fuel actually runs out at just below 1/4 tank indicated. Unfortunately, I was traveling at 65 mph when I learned of this error. Fortunately, I was near enough to the exit ramp to escape. I digress.

The tank was, for all practical purposes, empty. I added about 2 gallons from a gas can, and then proceeded to the nearest filling station. There, I added 17.8 gallons. So, I would say that the tank will hold about 20 gallons.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II

Comment

Keep in mind that while it very well MAY HOLD 21 Gal. with the large bottom surface, all the baffles and the depth of the pick-up tube, you most likely will only USE 19.5 to 20.0 gal. [:0]

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich brings up a good point. In aircraft, a plane may hold so many gallons, but in the operators manual it shows the useable amount, meaning that not all the fuel will be available to be used. (but the total amount has to be calculated in aircraft to determine usefull load, weight & balance, distance between refueling, ect)

60 Lark convertible
          61 Champ
          62 Daytona convertible
          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2)
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
          X