Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remounting front sway bar - solution found

Hi guys,

I finally got some Stude time and got underneath to bolt up the front anti-sway bar on Barney. The new rubber is a tight fit, but I got the front two retainers bolted onto the frame pedestals by lifting them from the bottom slightly with my floor jack so I could slide the bolt home.

The ends that anchor to the A-arm are a different story. I can't get the rubber compressed enough to line up the anchor hole with the bolt shank for love nor money. I tried pulling them in with clamps, but just can't get it to line up.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated greatly

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I used a variety of C-clamps and Vise-grip body clamps. Consternation ensued but it got accomplished.
    It would be nice if someone can post a simple solution.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Showbizkid you have a big job in front of you. Especially if you are replacing the rubber. I soated the new rubber in water and lightly sprayed the bar to assist in sliding on the rubber. One point, remove the front tires. I too used one c clamp, a floor jack and a ton of brute force with my hands in aligning everything. I just did it yesterday and it took three hours on a Lark. You can see my pics on the General Studebaker Drivers Club forum under "Finally a rolling 63 R2 chassis". My body is still sore from that job. The ends were the hardest to line up. Best of luck. If I could make on suggestion, a floor jack does help if a motor is in the car weighing it down. I was not that lucky and had to have someone sit on the frame and hold a light for me.

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

Comment

I've used a fairly long pipe wrench to pull the bracket down far enough to get a bolt started.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I use a big pipe wrench, open it up enough to grab the bracket, use a line up punch, and your done.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Lots of great suggestions. Thanks, guys!

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Problem solved, and I wanted to post the solution for anyone else who might have this problem.

I tried the solutions presented here, including using a drift to line up the holes and then securing the bracket with my floor jack, to no avail.

After cussing the designers and their children, it occurred to me that if pushing UP on the bracket to get it into alignment didn't work, maybe pulling DOWN would. So I got my biggest pair of Channel Locks and gripped the top of the A-Arm and the bottom of the bracket and squeezed hard... and it finally worked. Here's the pic:

After figuring it out, I thought the other side would be easy, but it wasn't - bolt hold simply would NOT line up. Finally I looked at the bracket and noticed that the side with the bolt hole was not parallel to the other side, so I stuck it in my vise and whacked it a couple of times with the lead hammer -- then a little more muscle, and it lined up.

Working on this car occasionally makes me wonder if I'm a mechanic or a blacksmith [)] Maybe a little of each is required!

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

Installing that bar I had to bend the brackets on both sides to line it up. The ones that come with the replacement bars are off a bit. At least mine were.

Comment

I enlisted my 10-year-old son to push the bolt through while I lay on the garage floor and pushed against the bracket as hard as i could. He was able to get it far enough so maybe 5 threads were showing, which was just enough to get a nut on there and tighten it up. I felt stupid having so much trouble with what appeared to be a simple task, so I'm glad to learn it's not just me. As an aside, the more I do on this the less I believe I can take even the most straightforward job for granted. It seems that every task requires every tool I own and some technique that Brand-X car guys would charitably describe as "unorthodox."

Comment

Mental Note
                    Only try this when i am having a good day

Comment

Working...
                    X