Leaded or unleaded gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaded or unleaded gas

Does it matter what you put in a Studebaker?

Filled up today and the owner (I think he was a the owner) asked what year is your car. I said a '57 Silver Hawk and hes like here take some lead additive. So he walked over and dumped almost the whole bottle in the car.

Now, I thought you didn't need leaded gas. I have never bought that for the Hawk before. I am not sure if my Hawk have hardened valve seats or not.

Thanks, Steven

Last time we discussed this topic was here, IIRC: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...s=unleaded+gas

Short version: If you drive like you love it instead of like you stole it, you will probably do just fine on unleaded regular without any additives (your results may vary / void where prohibited by law / but don't say I told you so / etc.). I'm sure there has been at least one Studebaker driver who's suffered valve burn or valve seat recession in a properly-maintained and sensibly-driven stock engine and can prove the damage was due to the lack of lead in modern fuel, but I've never met or heard from him or her.

I sure hope that pump jockey didn't charge you for the bottle of serpent squeezin's it sounds like he fed to your Hawk without your permission.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
    In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
    If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

I know folks who have been running their President straight eights on unleaded for years with no problem.

The jury's still out on this ethynol carp.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
      X