PDA

View Full Version : avanti/olds swap

hotrodstude
05-31-2009, 02:24 AM
while going through one of my storage sheds i found part of a art. from one of petersons engine swap books that were pub. in yje 60's and 70's. the swap was for a big block olds 455 with 4-speed(it said it was easyer to use the 4-speed that the turbo 400 because of the trans tunnel was not big enough for the auto. the only problem was the steering pin on the crossmember. they cut the pin out and lowered the pin assy. on the crossmember.they used an arch. welder and the mod.did not look to good. our welders today are so much better. would this type of mod. effect the steering of the car? even after an alinement i don't remember if it had power steering or not? like i said i only have some of the art.. does any one have the art.or know where i could find the book. there were about 4or5 of them in the series?

TX Rebel
05-31-2009, 02:39 AM
If the 'steering pin' on the cross member, as you call it, is in the way, a good option would be to convert to rack & pinion steering.

Barry'd in Studes

Alan
05-31-2009, 11:02 AM
That was Bob Pattons car. Done at Herbert and Meeks shop here in North Hollywood. The Peterson Engine Swaping Manual No. 1 does not have very good pics. of the cross member. It was not cut and dropped like I have seen at some time. They dimpled the pan.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/artcloud/05_31_1-1.jpg

Thomas63R2
05-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Are you planning on dropping an Olds motor into an Avanti?

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

buddymander
05-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh God please, NO!!!