Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel engines in the Lark?

All:

In line with the Volvo motor question, I have heard that Larks were available with diesel (Perkins) motors, maybe for export only? Any truth to this? I have never seen a photo of such an installation, or anyone claiming to have such a car in their possession.

Thanks-

Garrett

Yes, they made a few.[8D] I know of at least one restored survivor. I can't locate a pic right now though.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Tory Kirby from West Virgina has a diesel Lark.

JDP
      Arnold Md.
      Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
      64 Commander 2 dr.
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

There was an article in TURNING WHEELS a number of years ago about a fleet of Studebaker taxis with the 3 cylinder Perkins. Anyone remember which issue?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I love diesels, and I love Larks; so if anyone ever hears of one for sale, PLEASE let me know!![]

I would love to see one, at least...

Any diesel-powered Stude can find a good home with me anytime!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

JDP is correct, A. Torey Kirby from Martinsburg has one and he showed it at the Atlantic Zone Meet this summer. I can recall seeing it at a meet in Harrisonburg about 30 years ago so I know he has owned it at least that long. Paul Johnson (53k) lives near him and knows him better than anyone on the forum. He has bunches of old vehicles scattered around his place, but most are getting pretty rough.

I have sent Matthew some pictures to post as I am too lazy to upload them to a website!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

By the way, they also put a Perkins in a Zip Van. Asa Hall had the one and only and it sold at his sale. Should have bought that one too (along with the M-17). The pictures are located in the album titled "Asa Hall Sale" at this website: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Comment

Here's the pics Gary sent me.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, Georgia
                '59 Scotsman PU
                '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

With all the recent interest in body tags, I wish I had taken a picture of this one. Perhaps Paul Johnson, Leonard Shepherd or Frank Drumheller has a picture of it.

Comment

That Perkins diesel looks like a 240??? something cubic inch job. If you think the 169ci 6 was doggy, I bet that Perkins powered job couldn't get out of its own way. It was probably easy on fuel but come winter I bet you bought starting fluid by the case. There's no comparison between the cold weather starting ease of todays diesels and the oldies.

Comment

About three years ago there was a 66 CJ-6 with this same engine in it on ebay. I think it was from an east coast state. Connecutt or someplace

3E38
                      4E2
                      4E28
                      5E13
                      7E7
                      8E7
                      8E12
                      8E28
                      4E2
                      59 Lark
                      etc

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff
                        It was probably easy on fuel but come winter I bet you bought starting fluid by the case. There's no comparison between the cold weather starting ease of todays diesels and the oldies.
                        John,

I had a 560 Cockshutt tractor with a 270 Perkins in it. No glow plugs and always started with just a turn of the key. It was the easiest starting diesel I ever owned.

Gary

Comment

From what I heard Torey bought the diesel Lark new and has owned it ever since. The Studebaker dealer he visited wanted to get rid of it since Studebaker had closed down and it was still in his inventory.

Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          58 C Cab
                          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Gary,
                            I wish my tractors started that good. I have two 1850 Olivers with the 354 Perkins and at temperatures below 25, there's no way they'll start without starting fluid. At anything below 25, you'd better plug the block heater in. My 2-150 White starts easier, but in really cold temperatures it still needs assistance. We used to have a '58 Case 800 and it came with a factory installed device to inject starting fluid as well as a device to hold the exhaust valves open so you could unload the cylinders of unburned fuel after after those long, fruitless attempts at starting.

The new diesels start easier because the injectors crack at a higher pressure, the old indirect injection Case dribbled fuel in at 1,600 pounds, the direct injection Olivers 2,400, the White 3,000 and modern engines often run 20,000 pounds for better atomization. That's why you never see a modern over the road tractor trailing a long plume of black smoke. And it's also illegal for a mechanic to turn up the pump.
                            John

Comment

First, thanks for all the replies, and the PHOTOS. Very nice of you guys!

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Here's the pics Gary sent me.

I saw the posts regarding buying this car from the dealership new, but the photo above brings up one other neat item. Yellow reverse lights. I assume this car/lights are intended for export as I know in Europe a lot of US cars had their reverse lights in yellow/yellow bulbs to do double duty as rear indicators. I actually had a French spec and built car with yellow reverse lights once, a bit different.

As another poster indicated, I wonder what the "performance" of this car was like.

Garrett

Comment

Working...
                              X