Valve lash 185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve lash 185

I either need the valve lash setting for a 1956 185 or instructions on how to find that info thru the search option. I tried and did find a reference to .016 to .018. I want them as tight as possible for quiet operation. Also, I guess now is the time for the "oil restrictor". any good threads on that?

How important is it to reinstall the locks? If I turn the adjuster to match up for the locks, then my setting is off. IF I have to reinstall the locks, then do I adjust tighter or looser? I have them set at .016 right now. Can I set them tighter?

Comment

Tight valves = Burnt valves. Deal with the very little noise, thats part of the joys of owning a solid lifter engine, the L head 6 sixes are pretty quiet anyway. I forgot to look in a manual at the shop today what the spec is.

Jon Krimm
      1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Well, get to lookin, will ya?

Comment

If you have a Stude engine that runs without the "clickity-clickity"...it ain't right.

John Clary
          Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I always check solid lifters by listening to each one with a hose and if any are louder than the rest, I tighten them down a bit to make them all sound the same. But I need to have most of them very close in order to know what the right ones sound like.

Comment

Any body know where I can get an oil restrictor? Also wondering if anybody has spaced the oil pump out from the block with a plate to block the oil from entering the gallery directly and run the oil gauge line to the filter and the return line from the filter back to the gallery so that all of the oil coming out of the pump then going into the engine is filtered?

Comment

Ok all my books say between .015 to .018, so you are good there. From what you say in your last post you want to make a bypass type filter a full flow? The pressure side can come from any gallery but (I'll check my flathead block tomorrow when i dig it out) the return line should into the sump IIRC. I am not an expert on this, just going on the OHV6 cause they are more my speed.

Jon Krimm
                1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Thanks 62. I'm wondering about blocking the outlet of the oil pump to the gallery and taking the line off the oil gauge to a filter; maybe a partial flow 289 one; and then return to the gallery.

Comment

The side cover on my 59 170 says 0.016" but later it was revised to 0.018" for extended service life of the valves. That's why in later manuals it specifies 0.018". As 62SY4 mentioned, quiet lifters mean burnt valves. The longer the valves stay on the seats the greater the heat transfer.

Comment

Working...
                    X