62 and 63 sedans 2-door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 and 63 sedans 2-door

ok i survived the 60's but i just notice something about 62 and 63 larks 2-door sedans the doors are different and the windshield is different. is this not so? am i having a flashback? how about the front fenders? will they inter change. the doors on the 62's look like the doors on the 59-61?

Fenders are interchangeable. The doors differ from 62-63 because of the different style windshields. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Up to and including 62 the Lark used a shortened version of the sedan body which had been around since the mid fifties.Starting with the 63's the wraparound windshield was done away with by redesigning the cowl area and the bulky B and C pillars were done away with also.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Front end sheet metal is all the same. Everything related to the "greenhouse" (roof area) is unique to the 63 only. 64's had a different windshield (except convertibles & wagons) with different roof stampings. Another question to "why did they do that when money for tooling was so scarce".

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Front end sheet metal is all the same. Everything related to the "greenhouse" (roof area) is unique to the 63 only. 64's had a different windshield (except convertibles & wagons) with different roof stampings. Another question to "why did they do that when money for tooling was so scarce".
          The 64 (through 66) roof is lower than the 63. They probably should have "chopped the top" when they did the other changes to the 63.

I had one guy ask me if I raised the roof on my '63 [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

So Dick does that mean 64-66 door upper frames are not the same as 63s on sedans?

Joseph R. Zeiger
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

That's right - way different contours.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I remember reading that it cost Studebaker less money to tool the '64 from the '63, than it did to tool the '63 from the '62. Although I like '63's and '64's both better than '62's, they sure got more 'bang for the buck' with the '64 facelift.

I have also heard folks say it's too bad they couldn't have moved the '64 styling up one year, and not have the '63 styling. I disagree with which year should have been done away with (!), but I understand what they mean.

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                '64 Daytona Hardtop
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

I remember reading that it cost Studebaker less money to tool the '64 from the '63, than it did to tool the '63 from the '62.
                  One must keep in mind, a major portion of the 1963 styling budget was alloted to create the Wagonaire. The split two-piece tailgate had become rather clunky and old-hat by 1962, and a modern crank-down window-into-the-tailgate was sorely needed to keep the station wagon model up-to-date. Again, a case of Studebaker being forced to 'keep up' with the rest of the domestic automakers. It's hard to believe now, as most SUV's have a two piece tailgate, but it was really truly old-fashioned by 1963!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X