'50, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '50, anyone?

Hi all...been offline a bit too much recently...for the moment at least though, my home 'puter is working more or less properly, so here I am again...

Last weekend was a dang good couple Stude days. Got to three cruises and a major swap meet in three days, all in the Lark (which is still running faultlessly); and got a neat surprise in the middle. Went to a neighbourhood BBQ on Sunday afternoon. Guy from around the corner asks me if I'm the one with the Studebaker (I think the fact that I was wearing a Stude ballcap clued him in!)...and then tells me he saw two bulletnose Studes for sale on a secondary highway north of town. He was very detailed in his description; one car was a Starlight, the other a sedan; one ran, the other didn't; they were $2K the pair.

I went to one of the cruise nights after the BBQ in the Lark; it wound-up early, I came home dying of curiosity, switched cars and drove out to where the bulletnoses were said to be. Sho 'nuff, there were two '50 Champions, a Starlight and a 2dr post; $2K for both. If I had a barn...even a garage...I might well be announcing myself as the owner of two '50s now! These aren't for me, though: they need too much that I can't give them. Turned out they belong to a new SDCer, the same gent who has the pretty '49 Land Cruiser I've shown on here before (the one with the Chev V6 up front). He's also restoring an M15 dump truck, but that's another story. It was too dark for photos when I got there on Sunday, so I went back on Monday...twice, once in the early morning and then again after work for full-sun shots. What cool cars these are...all the more interesting for their "diamond in the rough" condition as they are now. The post runs (the owner used the post to tow the Starlight out to the roadside!); the Starlight doesn't fire, but will turn, so neither engine is seized. Here are a few pix of these Nifty Fifties:

Interior of the Starlight; not too bad...

Interior of the post is better...this car's said to have been off the road since 1953! Both cars seem very viable projects.

The owner's plans for these cars, in the event they don't sell, is interesting; he'd like to rod them both, but in 1950s fashion, with period speed mods. (Incidentally the Chev V6 in his '49 was installed by a previous owner...but he finds it quite adequate, and impressively fuel-efficient.)

S.

Steve , that 2dr post car belonged to long time Hamilton member Matt Friend up to last fall . Matt is moving up north and had to sell this car. I know the history of that car , it came from my area and has been off the road since almost new. If I didn't have the projects I was working on I would of bought that car from Matt, its a very low milage car that needs to be saved . I hope someone buys it and restores it back to its glory

[IMG]
    Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Hi Bob--

Ah, Matt, the pink-and-black '56 Hawk guy. Met Matt exactly once, at M'view the one time last year he brought the '56 there. Didn't know the Champion had been his, but the bit about being off the road since near-new tallies with what Pat (current owner) told me Sunday...that it had not been on the road since 1953.

Well, once the Daytona's out of your garage (and it sounds like she's about ready to be), you'd have room there for one of these '50s... I'm really hoping someone in the chapter acquires these cars. Either that or that Pat keeps and restores them...but he's got a lot on the go, the Champions would be on the back burner a while, hence they're on offer. If I had the space...egad, this really is a disease, isn't it...

S.

Comment

Were the mirrors on the fenders an option on the 50--I have not seen this before.
        Jimmie
        Orleans, Indiana

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Hi all...been offline a bit too much recently...for the moment at least though, my home 'puter is working more or less properly, so here I am again...

Last weekend was a dang good couple Stude days. Got to three cruises and a major swap meet in three days, all in the Lark (which is still running faultlessly); and got a neat surprise in the middle. Went to a neighbourhood BBQ on Sunday afternoon. Guy from around the corner asks me if I'm the one with the Studebaker (I think the fact that I was wearing a Stude ballcap clued him in!)...and then tells me he saw two bulletnose Studes for sale on a secondary highway north of town. He was very detailed in his description; one car was a Starlight, the other a sedan; one ran, the other didn't; they were $2K the pair.

I went to one of the cruise nights after the BBQ in the Lark; it wound-up early, I came home dying of curiosity, switched cars and drove out to where the bulletnoses were said to be. Sho 'nuff, there were two '50 Champions, a Starlight and a 2dr post; $2K for both. If I had a barn...even a garage...I might well be announcing myself as the owner of two '50s now! These aren't for me, though: they need too much that I can't give them. Turned out they belong to a new SDCer, the same gent who has the pretty '49 Land Cruiser I've shown on here before (the one with the Chev V6 up front). He's also restoring an M15 dump truck, but that's another story. It was too dark for photos when I got there on Sunday, so I went back on Monday...twice, once in the early morning and then again after work for full-sun shots. What cool cars these are...all the more interesting for their "diamond in the rough" condition as they are now. The post runs (the owner used the post to tow the Starlight out to the roadside!); the Starlight doesn't fire, but will turn, so neither engine is seized. Here are a few pix of these Nifty Fifties:

Interior of the Starlight; not too bad...

Interior of the post is better...this car's said to have been off the road since 1953! Both cars seem very viable projects.

The owner's plans for these cars, in the event they don't sell, is interesting; he'd like to rod them both, but in 1950s fashion, with period speed mods. (Incidentally the Chev V6 in his '49 was installed by a previous owner...but he finds it quite adequate, and impressively fuel-efficient.)

S.

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana
        1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Those mirrors do not look like any Studebaker mirrors I have seen on a car of that vintage. Unlikely that they are original production.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
          X