vent shades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vent shades

Anyone have a NOS or nice used set of "vent shades" for a '58 Commander 4 door? These are the things that go up above the door windows, and keep your arm from getting wet in the rain at a stop light.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Matt I have a nice set on a 55 prez don't know if they will fit Doug M

Comment

Is it a State model with the rear vent windows? If not, then they should fit.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Doug M

Matt I have a nice set on a 55 prez don't know if they will fit Doug M
        If it is a "W" Body short wheelbase Commander W2, W4 or W6 late wraparound windshield model they would fit, but all Presidents in '55 were Y Model long wheelbase, and the rear doors will be too long.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Matt the back door shade is 18 1/2" long

Comment

Matt the back door shade is 18 1/2" long
            18 1/2 inches? those must be the front or for a 2 Dr. Sedan, because even the short wheelbase Commander rears which you say your car is not, are at least 22-23 inches long!
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is a 55 prez State 6HY6 #7624. The back door from the front edge of window opening to rear of window is 18 1/2" long the shades are still on the car.The front shades are 17 1/2" long. Doug M

Comment

I measured my car. The rears would have to be 22-23 inches. Doug, email me with a price for the front two. Thanks.

Comment

Did anyone check with AutoVentshades in GA? Years ago my family was in the auto accessory warehouse biz and we bought ventshades from these folks. AV stopped listing Studebakers in their 1969 catalog, if I recall correctly. However, back in the 70s I needed a set for a 1963 Wagonaire Sliding roof. I found an old catalog from the 60s, looked up the part number, and included it with the next order. Bingo, they came with the next shipment. Maybe they still have NOS Stude ventshades even after all these years?
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

It is a 55 prez State 6HY6 #7624. The back door from the front edge of window opening to rear of window is 18 1/2" long the shades are still on the car.The front shades are 17 1/2" long. Doug M
                    OK that figures! I forgot the long wheelbase Sedan roll-up windows like yours Doug, are actually SHORTER because they are not trying to shade both windows, just the roll-up window, which would be shorter even though the doors with vent windows are longer! [^] Dah!!
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Ed,

70's? On two occasions I have tried to track down the Auto Vent Shades company, spending way too much time trying, (but i like challenges). AFAIK after checking multiple sources they closed in the late 70-80's and I have not located anyone in their city that knew of them, including the local Chamber of Commerce, City or County, etc.... Local telephone listings drop off in the early '80's. It seems that they just closed the business......

If anyone knows where they are still in operation please post and tell how they can be contacted. Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

Did anyone check with AutoVentshades in GA? Years ago my family was in the auto accessory warehouse biz and we bought ventshades from these folks. AV stopped listing Studebakers in their 1969 catalog, if I recall correctly. However, back in the 70s I needed a set for a 1963 Wagonaire Sliding roof. I found an old catalog from the 60s, looked up the part number, and included it with the next order. Bingo, they came with the next shipment. Maybe they still have NOS Stude ventshades even after all these years?
                      Henry Votel,
                      Forest Lake, MN
                      Moderator: Editors & Publishers Forum
                      Henry Votel,
                      Forest Lake, MN
                      Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Apparently Auto Ventshade was sold to Lund and now resides in Lawrenceville, Ga.
                        Seems to me I contacted them a few years back to inquire about shades for my '51 and they said, "NO WAY!"
                        No harm in asking.
                        Their web site takes you to Lund.
                        If you use the search on the web site, you can find stainless vent shades for 1928 Ford A pickup but nothing for Studebaker.

Auto Ventshade Co.
                        Private Subsidiary, Headquarters Location
                        655 Raco Dr., Lawrenceville, GA 30045-7689, United States
                        (770)339-5800, (770)339-5839 fax, http://www.autoventshade.com
                        Primary SIC: Motor Vehicle Parts And Accessories, Primary NAICS: All Other Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing
                        Description: Manufacturing: Manufactures truck and van accessories.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

At least until 1987, Auto Ventshades was located in Chamblee, GA and owned by a fellow named Asa Phillips. From your post, they must've sold out sometime after that date. I'd bet they junked a warchest of Stude product. Too bad. Ventshades were catalogued and prefixed as C for Chevy, F for Ford, etc. I think Studes were prefixed ST. When my family owned an auto warehouse in the 1970s, we had tons of leftover Lee oil, air and gas filters and Standard Ignition parts for every Stude from a flat head 6cyl to the supercharged versions. They were absolutely worthless at the time. I took a van load of these NOS parts to a Stude meet in Hickory, NC sponsored by HT Woody in 1975. Despite the cheap prices asked, people shunned them in droves. I eventually traded Woody some of them and I'm sure the rest got trashed due to them taking up usable warehouse space.

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Apparently Auto Ventshade was sold to Lund and now resides in Lawrenceville, Ga.
                          Seems to me I contacted them a few years back to inquire about shades for my '51 and they said, "NO WAY!"
                          No harm in asking.
                          Their web site takes you to Lund.
                          If you use the search on the web site, you can find stainless vent shades for 1928 Ford A pickup but nothing for Studebaker.

Auto Ventshade Co.
                          Private Subsidiary, Headquarters Location
                          655 Raco Dr., Lawrenceville, GA 30045-7689, United States
                          (770)339-5800, (770)339-5839 fax, http://www.autoventshade.com
                          Primary SIC: Motor Vehicle Parts And Accessories, Primary NAICS: All Other Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing
                          Description: Manufacturing: Manufactures truck and van accessories.

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                          edp/NC
                          \'63 Avanti
                          \'66 Commander

Comment

If anyone's interested, I had a brain fart about a month ago and bid (and won[V]) a set of ventshades for a 53 thru mid-55 2door sedan. I'd let them go for the $25 I've got in them plus shipping.[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                            X