1954-1956 ford wagon dana rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954-1956 ford wagon dana rear

back in the 60's i enstalled a dana rear from a 56 ford wagon(six with o/d) under my 57 studebaker commander it was a bolt in no real problems plus it was a 4:27 gears. it was posi-track. i had a pile of them but i gave them to my son. he sold most of them.i also put one under my 56 customline.

i swaped rears in 1965. in 1967 i sold my commander v-8,2-door sedan.for 200.00,was in very good shape.sold my 1956 custom line for 1,500.00 street racing special. the cops were glad to see me go in the army. there streets were safe again.

;

They should NOT have had limited Slip if they were truly NOS replacements for a '56 Ford, since only Packard had a limited slip.

If I were a Ford guy, I would know if it was 58, '59 or '60? or whatever when Ford came out with them.
    They would be Dana 44's with flanged axles though.

What's with all the ";" marks? You can delete them and all those blank lines with the "EDIT" ICON with the yellow pencil.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

in '57, Ford started using their 9" rearend. Don't think they ever used a dana rear in a passenger car again. By the way, that '57 9" is just the right width for Studes-gotta move the perches, tho.

Ken Pyle

Comment

the dana were for 1954-1956 station wagons with overdrive. the rear end came out of a 1956 station wagon. rear cover and everything. ford did not come out with the 9 inch until 1957. ford had a good rear from 1949-1956 whitch looks like a 9 inch. but was not. no parts will interchange and far as a ford man i've been one all my life.i've rebuilt so many y=blocks that i can do them in my sleep.

check a ford shop manual for any info i put out on fords. the danas were the heavy duty rear.put for wagons only with o/d. ratios were either 3:91,4:10 or 4:27. i hope this clears everything up. amc and chrysler also used dana rears but don't know what years.my 1969 super bee came with a dana 4:10 ratio

Comment

I am sure you are quite correct about the Ford usage of Danas' which I knew, but there were no Ford Posi's unless modified with later '57 & up Stude. parts.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X