PDA

View Full Version : Fire extinguishers

Bill Pressler
05-25-2009, 07:24 AM
I have a never-used fire extinguisher in my '63 (still in PA in storage 'for the winter'!) that I bought probably in 1995 (best guess). It is a Halon extinguisher. Would it still be good? I remember a little gauge on it telling you 'charged' or the like. Is Halon still considered the way to go? I want to buy one for my '64 too but am wondering if the old one in my '63 would probably still be OK and if there is anything anyone can do with the old one if the gauge doesn't read 'charged'.

Pricing them at Summit Racing's website (their retail store is practically in my backyard) and I sure don't remember paying so much for my last extinguisher (CASO!)

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
'64 Daytona Hardtop

N8N
05-25-2009, 08:01 AM
the problem with Halon is that it is a chlorinated flurocarbon, like R-12, and therefore none of it is currently being made (either 1211 or 1301) that is why your halon extinguishers are so expensive.

There are alternatives like Halotron, but if you plan on racing, make sure that what you're using is accepted by the sanctioning body of your particular type of racing. Keep in mind that the primary application of Halon is not auto racing but protecting computers and other electronics, so while there's stuff on the market for computer rooms etc. it may not have trickled down to 2.5 or 5 lb. size portables yet, and even if it has, it may not be accepted by SCCA etc...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

wolfie
05-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Bill,If it still reads good on the guage I would trust it. If it shows needing recharged its been my expirience that it should be REPLACED not recharged.Steve

doug
05-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Not to change the subject, I have dry chemical extinguishers that are over thirty years old, but show green on the dial. My fire department information says that they are still good if the gauge is in the green. I took one down and tried it and it worked perfectly. It's just me, but I think I will replace them anyway.

DEEPNHOCK
05-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I watched a fire extinguisher company guy 'service and inspect' several ABC extinguishers a while back in his panel van service truck.
First he'd inspect the gauge and check the hydrostatic test expiration date..
(No sense working on a low pressure extinguisher in the field)
Then he'd take the extinguisher and examine the tip (looking for mud daubers, or spider webs)...
Then he would invert it ans smack it a half dozen times on the spare tire...
(Agitating the powder that might have settled and caked)
He said 90% of the extinguishers were done right in his truck.
Took him longer to fill ou the new tag than to service the extinguisher.
Now that was a while back...
(Stop squirming Nate;))
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by doug

Not to change the subject, I have dry chemical extinguishers that are over thirty years old, but show green on the dial. My fire department information says that they are still good if the gauge is in the green. I took one down and tried it and it worked perfectly. It's just me, but I think I will replace them anyway.

52 Ragtop
05-25-2009, 08:35 PM
That happened a LOT in LA! But the ones that do it right, pull it apart, and put a tag on the stem inside the bottle, with their initals and a date. NEVER a question when it was serviced properly!

Jim

Lincoln77
05-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Regarding Halon. The extinguisher needs to be mounted upright. The chemical is highly corrosive in its liquid state. When used on a fire there is no need to worry. ABC or BC extinguisher you need to remember that the compound in it is an abrasive. If gotten into the carburetor or such areas it can cause big problems (not as much a burning to the ground would cause). I work in conjunction with a company that services extinguishers and fire suppression systems. I carry an ABC in my rigs because of the cost of the Halon/Halatron.

1963 Cruiser, 2-1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based Willamette
Valley Oregon.
1952 Ford F-1, 1977 Lincoln Continental (all works in progress)
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s273/Lincoln77/63LARK14.jpghttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s273/Lincoln77/IMG_2902-1.jpg