Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaser - Guess this ISN'T a Studebaker!

I came across an old Studebaker a few months ago (not that many around here in central Texas) and snapped a few pictures to show you guys. It's actually still "For Sael" (sic).

Here's the first shot of it, almost "artsy", if I do say so myself. Anyone care to guess what it is?

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Only one guess so far, but 24 have looked at it by now. I'm pretty sure you're right, hotwheels (Mike), it sure looks like it used to be a US6 to me. Here's a more complete picture.

By the way, that's area code (512) for anyone who just has to have it.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Only one guess so far, but 24 have looked at it by now. I'm pretty sure you're right, hotwheels (Mike), it sure looks like it used to be a US6 to me. Here's a more complete picture.

By the way, that's area code (512) for anyone who just has to have it.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Imagine trying to find parts for that ole hoss...[B)]

Randy_G

Comment

Imagine trying to find parts for that ole hoss...[B)]

Randy_G

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Not a US 6, but looks to be before a Korean War M-35 from what I recall as I seem to remember they had flat and angular fenders as well as squarer hood.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
            I'm betting it's not a Studebaker at all. Looks like an M-135, or an M-211, made by GMC. That slope-nose hood is the giveaway. Betch there's a stovebolt six and hydramatic under the hood. IIRC, M-211 had a closed cab, and M-135 was an open cab like that. They were Korean war era trucks, and preceded the Reo-pattern M35s.

Canadian army used M-211s a lot, so I'm familiar with them. It's definitely not any kind of US6. That truck used an M-series cab, and had flat front fenders, just like a real Jeep.

The M35s had a squarer profile to the nose than that beast has.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Not a US 6, but looks to be before a Korean War M-35 from what I recall as I seem to remember they had flat and angular fenders as well as squarer hood.

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

I'm betting it's not a Studebaker at all. Looks like an M-135, or an M-211, made by GMC. That slope-nose hood is the giveaway. Betch there's a stovebolt six and hydramatic under the hood. IIRC, M-211 had a closed cab, and M-135 was an open cab like that. They were Korean war era trucks, and preceded the Reo-pattern M35s.

Canadian army used M-211s a lot, so I'm familiar with them. It's definitely not any kind of US6. That truck used an M-series cab, and had flat front fenders, just like a real Jeep.

The M35s had a squarer profile to the nose than that beast has.

Comment

Thats not a US6 or an M35.
                Thats a GM built M211 commonly used by NG and others. The Army used them for awhile but dumped them quickly for the M35's that stay in service until the 21st century.

3E38
                4E2
                4E28
                5E13
                7E7
                8E7
                8E12
                8E28
                4E2
                59 Lark
                etc

Comment

Thats not a US6 or an M35.
                  Thats a GM built M211 commonly used by NG and others. The Army used them for awhile but dumped them quickly for the M35's that stay in service until the 21st century.

3E38
                  4E2
                  4E28
                  5E13
                  7E7
                  8E7
                  8E12
                  8E28
                  4E2
                  59 Lark
                  etc

Comment

Comment

Comment

Geez, how do you guys know all this stuff? [B)]

And I could have sworn that door handle had a real Stude truck look to it. That's what I get for not jumping the barbed wire fence and nosing around the interior. From what I've seen, the Studebaker military trucks, even the later ones, had lots of interior parts in common with the 40's and 50's light duty trucks.

Sorry for the false alarm (false hope?) You'll just have to enjoy the posting for that first photo of the wheel. Rust kind of looks good on it.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Geez, how do you guys know all this stuff? [B)]

And I could have sworn that door handle had a real Stude truck look to it. That's what I get for not jumping the barbed wire fence and nosing around the interior. From what I've seen, the Studebaker military trucks, even the later ones, had lots of interior parts in common with the 40's and 50's light duty trucks.

Sorry for the false alarm (false hope?) You'll just have to enjoy the posting for that first photo of the wheel. Rust kind of looks good on it.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I''ve seen several old Army 'duece and a halves' around with the same inside door handles as my '59.

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, Georgia
                            '59 Scotsman PU
                            '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

I''ve seen several old Army 'duece and a halves' around with the same inside door handles as my '59.

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, Georgia
                              '59 Scotsman PU
                              '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Working...
                              X