Ending a frame-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending a frame-off

Why do they call it a 'frame-off' anyway, when it's the body that comes off the frame? It's not the frame I struggled with but lining up the body.

When you DIY and nobody else is there to help, you get creative while trying to stay safe. One engine hoist, two borrowed sawhorses & rotisserie and using many l-o-n-g screwdrivers and such to guide me into frame holes as I lower, the beast is finally whole again! Had to remove the rear wheels and set the drums in those wheel dollys to get the rear frame arch under the front plank.
    I managed to get that tar out of the trunk area with paint stripper and elbow grease. New front pans from Classic2classic (I think it's called) and many hours spent spiffing up the underside.
    Going to try soda blasting next.

Looking good Tom! Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I ended up buying one of those cheapo overhead hoists from Harbor Freight for $59 or so and a few tow straps.

It worked out quite nicely because I was able to roll the frame into postion and lower/raise the body with the push of a button.

Just wished I had thought about the hoist idea when I had removed the body!!!

Here's a pic of my removal rig:

Comment

Looks like fun!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

Tom,

Please don't use that 4 letter word 'soda' Its fine powdery silt will drift into places and never come out. Technically, 'soda' IS salt, so hold your fire. Don't blast with soda unless you are preparing the poor thing for a Bonneville run or life on the beach in Texas where salt eats metal like you've never seen. Soda is a good blasting media, but not for a car body.

MIKE

[quote]

Mike, that's incorrect. The "soda" used for blasting is sodium bicarbonate, aka baking soda. Common "salt" is sodium chloride, and it is the chloride part which promotes rust. Blasting soda actually has some slight rust inhibiting ability because it is alkaline. Blasting soda is easily removed because it is very soluble in water, so a good pressure wash with plain water, or even a garden hose will remove it all.

Of course you will then have spotlessly clean metal, so you should soon prime or otherwise rustproof.

The worst things to blast with are sand, because it will distort sheet metal, and plastic media, because you can neveer remove it all.

The best blasting media of all for sheet metal is frozen carbon dioxide, "dry ice", because it's gentle and evaporates without a trace. Carbon dioxide blasting was used to remove two hundred years of corrosion, paint and tar and gunk from the Statue of Liberty when it was restored a few years ago.

Comment

I forget which position they were but when I changed the frame on my 66 I used some threaded rod from the hardware store in 2 places & lowered the body easily in position. Only had to move the frame with a floor jack which was easy without the weight of the body on it.

60 Lark convertible
            61 Champ
            62 Daytona convertible
            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2)
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

The best blasting media of all for sheet metal is frozen carbon dioxide, "dry ice", because it's gentle and evaporates without a trace. Carbon dioxide blasting was used to remove two hundred years of corrosion, paint and tar and gunk from the Statue of Liberty when it was restored a few years ago.
              Do it before the environmentalists get it outlawed.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Tom

I used my engine hoist on the rear and a chainfall on the front to lower it. I used the threaded rod like WW to line it up.

Just a question. Why put it back on the frame to blast? The frame looks finished.

By the way, Nice job on the floors. [8D]

Bob

Comment

Working...
                X