Avanti instrument panel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti instrument panel question

Is it hard to replace the dash instrument light bulbs on a '63? And where is the rheostat located? Thanks!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Time and Patience are your friends.

Comment

The dash light reostat is under the dash on the left of the steering column facing down.

Comment

There is a knob facing down to the right of the steering wheel. There's nothing on the left. Turning the knob has no effect.

quote:Originally posted by rkapteyn

The dash light reostat is under the dash on the left of the steering column facing down.
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

On an Avanti? The switch under the dash on the right of the wheel is front to rear balance for the radio. The controls for the lights are on the roof. From left to right they are -

Lights
          ON/OFF
          PARK LAMPS ONLY/PARK AND HEAD LAMPS

Instrument Lamps
          ON/OFF
          HIGH/LOW

Heat
          ON/OFF
          HIGH/LOW

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well I'll be danged! So there is no rheostat, it's just high or low for the instrument lights. Mine has a lot of bulbs blown. Thanks for the info!!!

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

On an Avanti? The switch under the dash on the right of the wheel is front to rear balance for the radio. The controls for the lights are on the roof. From left to right they are -

Lights
            ON/OFF
            PARK LAMPS ONLY/PARK AND HEAD LAMPS

Instrument Lamps
            ON/OFF
            HIGH/LOW

Heat
            ON/OFF
            HIGH/LOW

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

If you find a good way to change them without removing the cluster, please let me know. I can't sit upside down in the seat like I used to.

Jim

Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Best way to work under the dash is to remove the seat and level the floor with some wood pieces and cover all with a carpet. My back won't tolerate any other way!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Karl

Time and Patience are your friends.
                  And tiny hands make it easier too.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Besides the above suggestions, I also recommend disconnecting the battery when working in there. And when the battery is disconnected, it is helpful to use some long-nosed bent tip needle nose pliers to reach the bulb sockets. Don't try this with the battery hooked up.

========================
                    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                    Martinez, CA

Comment

When you take the front seat out, it is a good time to check the condition of the rivets holding the front mount captive plates to the fibreglass support. The factory used aluminum rivets that have a tendency to corrode away, allowing the plate to fall off when you remove the seat. Lift the vinyl covering to expose the rivets and install a washer and capscrew to hold the plate in position and then drill out the 1/8" alum. rivets and replace with 1/8" steel rivets. Then glue the vinyl back down. I have done this as a matter of course with any Avanti that I have worked on under the dash. These captive plates, when they fall off usually remain in the tunnel to which the front seat is mounted. With a little patience and improvisation they can be retrieved and refastened to their original location, rather than butchering the fibreglass to remount the seat as I have discovered on some Avantis.

Comment

Working...
                      X