X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run on down to the showroom........

If only we could go on down to the dealers for a test drive!!!![^]

That would be cool, indeed!

I find it interesting that these old ads are always airbrushed, retouched, whatever...

Looking at this Speedster image - there's NO WAY the top of that front fender is that straight! Even the headlight bezel just straight out in this "rendition" as opposed to the real thing. It's like the artists renderings I have of various 58 models. They all look like they've been customized when compared to the real item.

Funny that the hype of today's cars is about the same. I happened to see an ad on TV last night for the new Lexus IS models. There's shots of grinning drivers and smoking tires on barren big city streets. Truly fanciful, farcical scenarios, staged to play to one's gut. Of course, nowdays one has to pay attention to the ad to see what make of four-wheeled soap bar is being promoted![|)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yep, and so much of the automotive action in present-day TV ads is actually CGI, too. A notable exception (unless CGI has suddenly gotten better very recently) is the ad for the Hyundai Genesis coupe: the driver brings it to a stop in a cloud of sun-backlit smoke at the end of the ad, via a dramatic 70s-car-chase-style reverse spin. This would probably have been pretty easy to do using a computer...but to my eye at least, the shot appears to be the real deal, and must have taken ages, and dozens of takes, to get so right. Props to the cinematographer who currently works for Hyundai's ad agency...and the guy...or the woman...at the wheel of the bright yellow Genesis!

S.

Comment

Working...
      X