PDA

View Full Version : Truman 125: A Life in Photographs

jnewkirk77
05-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Before you start asking yourself why I posted this here instead of in the Stove Huggers forum, just go to the website below and take a look at the picture for 1930 -- you'll have to scroll to the right just a bit:

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/Truman125/125exhibit.html

For those without the patience to wait for the pics to load, Harry S. Truman (at that time the Presiding Judge of Jackson County, MO ... more or less the head of the county commissioners) is pictured in 1930 standing next to an eight-cylinder Studebaker of the era.

But ... is anyone sharp-eyed enough to determine which model said Studebaker is? "Paging 'Dr. Quinn' ... Dr. Richard Quinn, to photograph examining room one ... stat!" (I think I need to quit watching those Marcus Welby, M.D. reruns ...)

Back story: 2009 is the 125th anniversary of the birth of former President Harry S. Truman, and the Truman Library in Independence, MO has set up a special exhibit of his life in photographs that opened May 8 and will run through October.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Studebaker Wheel
05-21-2009, 12:43 PM
The car is definitely a '29 model and may be a Commander (FD), Dictator (FC) or President (FE or FH) since Studebaker was offering the Eight on all three chassis in that model year. From that angle it would not be possible to ascertain which of the 3 models it is but the size of both the headlights and the radiator cap makes me lean toward the smaller series Dictator or Commander.

Richard Quinn
editor: Antique Studebaker Review

Bill Pressler
05-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Boy, could we have used a President like old HST several times since he was in the White House!

I remember reading that he was a Mopar guy. Somewhere I saw a picture of him taking delivery of his '57 Dodge 4-door sedan, and I believe the last car he owned was a '72 Chrysler Newport Royal...the lowest-priced Chrysler model back then. I think I remember reading it still resides in the garage of his and Mrs. Truman's home as it did the day he died.

HST was born on May 8, 1884. My great-grandfather, Fredrick W. Myers of Greenville, PA, was born on May 18, 1884. He is the oldest person I can actually remember (he died in 1964).

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
'64 Daytona Hardtop

skyway
05-21-2009, 09:39 PM
The HST museum in Independence has their restored late '40's early 50's grey "his and hers" Chrysler products. Can't remember just what models they are.

jnewkirk77
05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by skyway

The HST museum in Independence has their restored late '40's early 50's grey "his and hers" Chrysler products. Can't remember just what models they are.

They are '41 models. He bought them new in Kansas City, and Chrysler historians and workers did the restorations on both cars about a decade ago. They're beautiful.

As far as the '72 Newport, it is indeed still in the garage behind 219 North Delaware Street, and it has perhaps 12,000 miles on it. The last Missouri license plates issued to Mrs. Truman, dated 1982, are still on the car, if memory serves, and the number is 5745, the date (May 7, 1945) when HST received word that Germany had surrendered.

Back to the Studebaker: Thanks, Richard. I figure, if it belonged to anyone HST was close friends with, it'd more likely be one of the less-pricey models, probably a Dictator or Commander. Folks in his circle of friends were typically, based on my recent reading, about as frugal as the late former President himself.

If you're planning on being in the Kansas City area, it's worth a few minutes' drive east to see the Truman sites in Independence. The first time I saw his home, last November, I was struck with just how small and ordinary it seemed. But it fits everything that we know about HST. I'm hoping to take the tour this weekend; if not then, soon.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Studebaker Wheel
05-22-2009, 12:05 AM
I have been to the Library for research. Interestingly the Paul G. Hoffman papers are housed there. Interesting place. I guess the buck stops there!

Richard Quinn
editor: Antique Studebaker Review

Studedude1961
05-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the link to the HST photos! If any of you ever go through Kansas City/Independence make it a MUST to tour the Truman home. You can appreciate Truman the President and Truman the human being by just walking through the rooms. The Chrysler is indeed still in the garage. The two small houses just east of the Truman property belonged to Mrs. Truman's two brothers and their families.

skyway
05-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Jacob,

Thank you for correcting me. It's been too long since I saw them, but yes, they are beautiful!

Gary

Andy R.
05-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Very cool.[8D]

Andy
62 GT

http://a6.vox.com/6a00cdf7ec2443094f0109d0f5b14e000f-500pi