Wonderful call from an Old Studebaker Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful call from an Old Studebaker Friend

I had a Letter-to-the-Editor about child-rearing and automobiles, of all things, published in today's Indianapolis Star. (It has a political hint at the end of it, so I'll not post it. You can find it under Opinion at Indystar.com)

The phone rang with kudos for the content around suppertime and it was a long-lost Studebaker friend, former Indianapolis' Snider Studebaker tune-up and light line mechanic Bill "Slim" Mitchell, now 82 years old and hiking cars for Avis part-time.

Bill lives in Speedway, Indiana in the same house where he lived while working at Snider, but I had not heard from him for the better part of 20 years. He was an excellent tune-up mechanic. He personally taught me how to rebuild a supercharger at Snider when I was 17 years old, in that he could do them blindfolded. A witty guy whose company I always enjoyed.

I remember Bill trying to adjust (circa 1967) the rear quarter windows in my 1959 Lark Regal hardtop to operate better, and his confidentially informing me that the regulator design, "wasn't very good." On another occasion, I was talking to Bill while he was putting a set of spark plugs in one of the first 1965 283-powered Studebakers and "observing" [to be polite] the operation being -ahem- more difficult than on a 1964 Studebaker V-8. I may have learned a new word or two that day!

Bill went on to become a front-end mechanic at Indianapolis' now-defunct Ogle-Tucker Buick, from which he retired some time ago. I remember Bill distinctly telling me why he retired. He finished a wheel alignment one day and took the car on a test drive. He noted a terrible wobble/shake in the front end and returned to the dealership pronto, only to discover he had forgotten to tighten the lug nuts on one front wheel.

He said he recognized the time had come and retired at the end of that week. He was a conscientious guy, to be sure; always in good health.

He was surprised to hear I still had one of his Snider Studebaker business cards in my card file, which I do. (The dealership was one of the few that had individual business cards for each mechanic, as well as salesmen, etc.)

"Slim" Mitchell was one of the better mechanics from whom I had the privilege of learning on location in an operating Studebaker dealership. It was good to hear his voice after all these years. I confirmed his address and will be sending him our Chapter Newsletter, hopefully to interest him in attending a meeting.

Not to worry, I told him; he wouldn't be the oldest guy there! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Cool story,
    Men like cars... They don't make em like they used to.

Comment

Man! Am I envious Bob. Not that you had a letter to the editor published (I have had a couple)... But you have confirmation that someone actually read it!

John Clary
      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

Man! Am I envious Bob. Not that you had a letter to the editor published (I have had a couple)... But you have confirmation that someone actually read it!

John Clary
        I don't think that a reply is that unusual. It seems that whenever I have a letter published in Old Cars, Poughkeepsie Journal or some auto magazine, I get e-mails, telephone calls and/or in person comments. Just this afternoon, I got a confirmation telephone call from the Poughkeepsie Journal about a letter that I wrote about Ketcham Motors, that lost their Chrysler franchise, being the last of many new car dealers in the Village of Fishkill.
        Being a believer in communication, I write and call a lot to newspapers and magazines. Some comments are published and some aren't. Today, I got a reply from an Editor at the Poughkeepsie Journal replying that I was correct and thanking me for my comment on their doctor's column. I do not expect that this will be published, but it at least shows that someone reads the comments.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Can't find your Opinion at Indystar.com, Bob.

What date was it published?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fstst56

Can't find your Opinion at Indystar.com, Bob.

What date was it published?
            Monday, May 18, 2009. If you look for it after the published date, you have to search by date.

Their heading above the letter was, "In the real world, there's no such thing as a free ride." When you search Letters to the Editor after the day of publication, it helps to know the heading. (They created that heading, not me.)

Anyway, I sent you a PM with the direct link to the letter. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
            X