Oil Link, C I- 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Link, C I- 4

I ask the same old question. Even though it says CI-4, does it have enough zinc for our flat tappet cars and trucks? If it does that would be great.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I'm not sure about the Castrol CI-4 but I plan on using Valvoline VR-1 Racing motor oil when my Avanti is through with it's make over and engine rebuild. It's available in multigrades 10W30 & 20W50 and in a striaght 30W (I'll use the 30W).

Here's a link to product specs on Valovline VR-1: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Brad Penn Oil has more ZDDP, if that's what you are looking for to protect a new cam.

========================
        63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
        Martinez, CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

I ask the same old question. Even though it says CI-4, does it have enough zinc for our flat tappet cars and trucks? If it does that would be great.
          Let's just say, "it does NOT"! Whenever you see new specs combined with earlier ones, such as CJ,CH,CG, and CI Plus, it simply means THEY say for newer Diesel engines, it replaces all earlier types. But it is made to the newest spec. and only REPLACES the old! That is not the same as saying it IS the old lower number CI!

To avoid all future arguments as in the past, it would be best to just accept that, and move on to Proper Old Car or Racing Automotive Oils, ZDDP additives or do like some have done, for continued use only, not break-in, and take a chance & trust the Oil Co.'s off the shelf, new formula stuff, what makes you happy, is what is right for you! [^]
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And again.................Castrol, GTX 20-50 in my 259 Lark "daily" driver (as in...my only car!!)...........not a single oil related problem for over 8 years...!
            I do occasionally put in some Lucas Oil Stabilizer during changes, but not every oil change.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X