Dead Goldenhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Goldenhawk

For those that viewed my post about the 64 4-dr Daytona with the tachometer, here's what else I saw in the same junkyard. There was also a rotting hulk of a 1958 Goldenhawk. What was left has an Oldsmobile engine in it now. I looked inside at the dash on THIS car and it had a 160 mph speedometer AND a factory tachometer, with both glass covers smashed all to hell, naturally. The tag under the hood had 58H-C3 on it, whatever that means. I bet this car was a screamer in its day.... Additionally, there was another piece of a rusted hawk beside it that was being completely reabsorbed into the earth. You could still tell it had the high tail fins design though, so I guess it was prior to '62. I also saw what looked to be a '54 model car, a 1950's round cab truck and what I think was about a '46 model truck. If anyone's interested in these hopeless junkers, the place is called Nelson's Used Auto Parts. It's located in the tiny township of Sawmills, NC in Caldwell County. The phone number is 828 396-7708. No one would ever see these vehicles from the secondary road where the place is located because there's a high wooden fence around it. Another Stude graveyard....
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

ED: 58H-C3 is a 1958 Silver Hawk, and would have had a solid "B" pillar, unlike a 1958 Golden Hawk, which was a true 2-door hardtop with no "B" pillar at all.

If you do return, please see if you can get the Serial Number on that Daytona 4-DR.

'Must be an interesting place. I hear stories like that and wonder if the Studebaker dealer in the area was an especially good one, to have so many Studes in a given yard. Thanks for the info. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Regarding the 4-door Daytona; The ID plate was missing from the door and the motor and trans had been removed. There was no ID tag under the hood either. It's like someone wanted this poor old relic to remain anonymous. I guess the mystery of a factory tach on a 4-dr V-8 automatic with single exhaust will remain unsolved...

The 58 Hawk did have the pillar, or what's left of it. I mistakenly called it a "Goldenhawk" because after all the years of decay it still had a few remnants of beautiful gold paint.

It does seem like there was a fair distribution of Studebakers in this area. I know a recently retired brake mechanic who worked at the Studebaker dealership in Hickory, NC in the early 1960s. In 1974, I bought a 59 Lark VIII automatic 2-dr HT that was purchased by the original owner from Bush Olds/Pontiac. The lady still had the bill-of-sale for $2100. Lastly, when I was a kid growing up in Lenoir, NC, I used to walk by Wayne Johnson Motors on my way to East Harper Elementary School. That was from 1961-65, and they sold Ramblers and Studes.

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

ED: 58H-C3 is a 1958 Silver Hawk, and would have had a solid "B" pillar, unlike a 1958 Golden Hawk, which was a true 2-door hardtop with no "B" pillar at all.

If you do return, please see if you can get the Serial Number on that Daytona 4-DR.

'Must be an interesting place. I hear stories like that and wonder if the Studebaker dealer in the area was an especially good one, to have so many Studes in a given yard. Thanks for the info. BP
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

In 1974, I bought a 59 Lark VIII automatic 2-dr HT that was purchased by the original owner from Bush Olds/Pontiac. The lady still had the bill-of-sale for $2100.
        Are you sure that she didn't buy that hardtop as a slightly used car at the Olds/Pontiac dealer? That car's new retail price would have been $2500 before you add things like radio and heater. I know that cars are discounted, but 25% is too much of a discount for that car. Or was it $2100 plus a trade or a deposit?

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The car was bought brand spanking new from Rooster Bush. They only had three Larks. It was the 1st year, and I guess Studebaker was willing to use any venue to sell them. In fact, when I bought the car in 1974 with only 58K miles, Miss Setzer gave me the original yellow bill of sale, which clearly stated New Car and $2100. Furthermore, this Lark had the 259 V-8 with factory 4V Carb and dual exhaust. I sold it in 1981.
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Did the 58 Silver hawk have its fins, and, if so, were they in decent shape?
            I need a passenger side fin for my 57 Silver hawk and the 58 fin will fit.
            Thanks.
            Dick Curtis
            The 1950 Champion Starlight
            Santa Barbara
            CA

Comment

I think it did have at least one of the fins. I didn't see much of anything that was salvageable though. You could call up Mr. Nelson and ask him for a description, and if he'd be willing to sell it off the car.

quote:Originally posted by starlightchamp

I need a paessenger side fin for my 57 Silver hawk and the 58 fin will fit.
              Thanks.
              Dick Curtis
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by starlightchamp

I need a passenger side fin for my 57 Silver hawk and the 58 fin will fit.
                Thanks.
                Dick Curtis
                You just missed it in ebay online recently.. I guess it costs too much for you?

Steven

Comment

I think those fins are for the Goldenhawk and are a different shape at the forward end.
                  I did get an earlier driver side fin from Ebay--paid $285 for it.
                  ....Dick
                  The 1950 Champion Starlight
                  Santa Barbara
                  CA

Comment

A sad fact...Mr Johnson , the owner of the Studebaker dealership that Edpjr mentioned commited suicide in the dealership one Sunday morning. The building burned sometime later and there is now a large pawn shop there.I happen to know Mr Johnson's brother-in-law.

thom
                    thom

Comment

American Trade and Loan is in the location now. I did not know the suicide history though. What year would that have been? Do you know if there are any historical pictures of the Wayne Johnson dealership? I WISH I could clearly remember some of the cars they had on the lot but I was only 6-9 years old...

quote:Originally posted by thom

A sad fact...Mr Johnson , the owner of the Studebaker dealership that Edpjr mentioned commited suicide in the dealership one Sunday morning. The building burned sometime later and there is now a large pawn shop there.I happen to know Mr Johnson's brother-in-law.

thom
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

I have not seen any photos of the dealership , but I'm sure some exist.I wonder if the dealership did any business with your family's business?Both businesses would have been in Lenoir from 1949 until the early sisties , right?I have seen ads for the dealership obtained from the local newspaper , The News Topic.If you go to the newspaper office and search You can find the obituary for Mr Johnson, I'm sure.My friend, Mr Johnson's brother in law was the one who found him after the suicide.If I remember correctly Cannon Paint Co occupied the building after the Studebaker dealership was no more.The building burned and the paint company rebuilt elsewhere.I thought about lettering my 55 Studebaker truck with the name of the dealership, but have decided to use a fictional name and phone number instead.Mr Nelson in Sawmills is a good friend of mine. The 46 or 47 truck he has was his dads truck.Thanks

thom
                        thom

Comment

My cousin still operates Price Automotive Warehouse in Whitnel. They're celebrating the 60th year in business. I'm absolutely sure the old "Price Brothers" co. sold parts and accessories to Wayne Johnson Motors. PB sold stuff to about every dealer and used car lot in Western NC back in the 50s and 60s. We were also distributors of STP oil treatment back then. I had no idea STP was a Studebaker product until my late Father pulled an old 1960s invoice from the files and showed me where it read "STP - a division of Studebaker Corp." I remember trading old HT Woody some long leftover dead stock Lee oil, air and gas filters that fit Studes back in the early '70s. We had stuff that fit Avantis, Hawks and supercharged Larks and it was virtually worthless back then. What would it be worth now...?

quote:Originally posted by thom

I have not seen any photos of the dealership , but I'm sure some exist.I wonder if the dealership did any business with your family's business?Both businesses would have been in Lenoir from 1949 until the early sisties , right?I have seen ads for the dealership obtained from the local newspaper , The News Topic.If you go to the newspaper office and search You can find the obituary for Mr Johnson, I'm sure.My friend, Mr Johnson's brother in law was the one who found him after the suicide.If I remember correctly Cannon Paint Co occupied the building after the Studebaker dealership was no more.The building burned and the paint company rebuilt elsewhere.I thought about lettering my 55 Studebaker truck with the name of the dealership, but have decided to use a fictional name and phone number instead.Mr Nelson in Sawmills is a good friend of mine. The 46 or 47 truck he has was his dads truck.Thanks

thom
                          edp/NC
                          \'63 Avanti
                          \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                          X