This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly story

This might be too silly for this forum, but I keep thinking of this story when we are talking about Golden Hawks with Packard engines.

When I was growing up, I had a friend who lived two doors down from me. His parents had a 55 Packard 400 and a 51 Commander 2 door sedan. Joe claimed the Studebaker as his own and we had many happy hours driving around in it. One day we had washed the cars and were sitting in the grass when we thought how neat it would be to swap engines from the Packard to the Studebaker and vice versa. We figured that we would find a time when his parents were away and take both cars to a friend's garage and put the Packard engine in the Studebaker and the Studebaker engine in the Packard. We thought that his mom probably wouldn't notice because she drove so slow, but his dad liked to burry the speedometer in the Packard, so we figured that he would notice. Of course, we didn't have the money, tools or knowledge to accomplish such a task, so it was just a dream, but I always wondered what someone would think who bought the Packard, with a Studebaker engine, after his dad traded it in.

Joe was always coming up with wild ideas like that. It sort of reminds me of another friend, I had, who wanted to put a Studebaker V8 in a 57 Chevy and take it to Chevy meets.

Below are photos of the Studebaker and the Packard.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

A Packard motor in a Studebaker. Boy, would that be a sweet car!

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

A Packard motor in a Studebaker. Boy, would that be a sweet car!

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, Georgia
      '59 Scotsman PU
      '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Hi Leonard
        Not such a silly idea to me. I have wondered about putting a Packard V-8 in a '56-'57 President Classic. Wonder if the motor mounts from the '56 GH would work? More likely I'd just have to make up a set.
        Here's another idea I've had: if I was lucky enough to buy a pre-war President but the engine was badly sick or missing completely, to transplant a post-war Packard straight eight in it's place. There are a surprising number of '48-'54 Eights/200s/Clippers available, many fairly rough cars that beyond an ecomonic restoration but excellent parts cars. A pre-war Studebaker with either a Packard 288 or 327 straight eight I bet would be a sweet driver!
        But, one unhappy thought; does that make it just another street rod?
        Steve

Comment

Hi Leonard
          Not such a silly idea to me. I have wondered about putting a Packard V-8 in a '56-'57 President Classic. Wonder if the motor mounts from the '56 GH would work? More likely I'd just have to make up a set.
          Here's another idea I've had: if I was lucky enough to buy a pre-war President but the engine was badly sick or missing completely, to transplant a post-war Packard straight eight in it's place. There are a surprising number of '48-'54 Eights/200s/Clippers available, many fairly rough cars that beyond an ecomonic restoration but excellent parts cars. A pre-war Studebaker with either a Packard 288 or 327 straight eight I bet would be a sweet driver!
          But, one unhappy thought; does that make it just another street rod?
          Steve

Comment

No I don't think it would be just another Street Rod. I think it would be a very neat and unusal car. I can just imagine setting around at a car show and telling them you have a 327 engine in your car. Them thinking it is a Chevy and then opening the hood and seeing a big long flat-head straight eight[}]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

No I don't think it would be just another Street Rod. I think it would be a very neat and unusal car. I can just imagine setting around at a car show and telling them you have a 327 engine in your car. Them thinking it is a Chevy and then opening the hood and seeing a big long flat-head straight eight[}]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

One thing I've thought about, but seriously doubt it will ever happen, is to take a '31-'32 President and drop a Cadillac V16 of the same vintage in it. [:0]
                A 'First Series' Studillac. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, Georgia
                '59 Scotsman PU
                '63 Daytona HT

Comment

One thing I've thought about, but seriously doubt it will ever happen, is to take a '31-'32 President and drop a Cadillac V16 of the same vintage in it. [:0]
                  A 'First Series' Studillac. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, Georgia
                  '59 Scotsman PU
                  '63 Daytona HT

Comment

Many years ago there was a 32 Packard cabriolet with a Duesenberg twin overhead cam straight eight in it in our neighbourhood. One very hot car! []

Comment

Many years ago there was a 32 Packard cabriolet with a Duesenberg twin overhead cam straight eight in it in our neighbourhood. One very hot car! []

Comment

Leonard, when were those pictures taken? I think I see a '58 Pontiac in the one, so at least '58 (the year I was born in!) I love seeing color pictures of the '60's and earlier...all our family has from that period is B&W; so much so that it seems to me that life itself must have been B&W at that time! Thanks for sharing.

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                        Bought new through Cordell Motors of Moorhead, Minnesota
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Leonard, when were those pictures taken? I think I see a '58 Pontiac in the one, so at least '58 (the year I was born in!) I love seeing color pictures of the '60's and earlier...all our family has from that period is B&W; so much so that it seems to me that life itself must have been B&W at that time! Thanks for sharing.

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                          Bought new through Cordell Motors of Moorhead, Minnesota
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

quote: Leonard, when were those pictures taken? I think I see a '58 Pontiac in the one, so at least '58 (the year I was born in!) I love seeing color pictures of the '60's and earlier...all our family has from that period is B&W; so much so that it seems to me that life itself must have been B&W at that time! Thanks for sharing.

Bill Pressler
                            Yes, those photos were taken in 1958 by me with our Kodak camera. The 58 Pontiac belonged to the neighbor who lived between Joe and me. He was a Pontiac salesman. He sold Joe's dad a Pontiac in 1960 and took the Packard on trade. I have posted more of my old color photos on the thread "Old photos of family Studebakers".

You don't see many Studebaker powered hot rods, but here's one.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote: Leonard, when were those pictures taken? I think I see a '58 Pontiac in the one, so at least '58 (the year I was born in!) I love seeing color pictures of the '60's and earlier...all our family has from that period is B&W; so much so that it seems to me that life itself must have been B&W at that time! Thanks for sharing.

Bill Pressler
                              Yes, those photos were taken in 1958 by me with our Kodak camera. The 58 Pontiac belonged to the neighbor who lived between Joe and me. He was a Pontiac salesman. He sold Joe's dad a Pontiac in 1960 and took the Packard on trade. I have posted more of my old color photos on the thread "Old photos of family Studebakers".

You don't see many Studebaker powered hot rods, but here's one.

Comment

Working...
                              X