No announcement yet.

(63 R-1 Hawk) Does it seem strange....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (63 R-1 Hawk) Does it seem strange....?

...that this car has no tach? http://tinyurl.com/qnxgno I'd think with all the other stuff, it WOULD have one...guess not.

Is this car simlar to JP's "cheap Avanti"?

John

Edited to remove the "."

<s>It is probably not a verified, factory equipped Jet Thrust engined car!</s>

<s>FYI John, the link does not work.</s>

Well OK the R1 is on the Production Order, unless the dash was replaced, it must have been omitted, forgotten? who knows, but I think that car has way bigger problems than no Tach.

Thanks, Warren I knew that you can't have a dot, DAH! Doh! and all that!

Hey, how does your line number match up to 5882, Lower?
    Serial lower than 63V13543?

My 1964 Showroom Spec. Book shows the 3.54 axle ratio Std. with 4 speed, and 3.31 or 3.73 Optional but with it, on Jet Thrust or JTS powered you must order Twin Traction, I would think '63 would be the same, it also shows either 2.20 or 2.54 ratio 4 speed available.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hmmm...interesting. My Hawk was made the day before, not a package car either (before package cars were available) yet mine has a tach. When I checked my copy of the production record, there is no mention of the tach. Perhaps the tach was part of the R-2 option & had to be ordered with a R-1? Another odd bit is the engine # on mine is JTS-1360 while this car, being made one day later, its # is JT-1463, 103 units higher. I can assume that the Jet Thrust engines were numbered in order regardless if they were an R-1 or R-2, right? Another question is my production record lists the 3:73 rear axle ratio after the twin traction line & this one doesnt specify. Was the 3:73 an option?

Rich, the link works if you remove the decimal point at the end.. in the E-BAY ad there is a copy of the production record showing it is an authentic JT car.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Remove the period.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

My serial # is 63V 13281 line # 5330 final assembly date 11/8/62 but a date to ship of 11/7/62! I guess it didnt make it on 11/7 so it was finished on 11/8...perhaps needed some repairs on the doll up line?

60 Lark convertible
          61 Champ
          62 Daytona convertible
          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2)
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

did anyone notice he list the vin as 63v13542 in one spot and 63v13543 in another is it possible its the highest vin you could get with a jt motor or is it a possible scam?
            just a thought

Erin Hays
            "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
            RZRECTD
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Lark
            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Interesting Warren! That tells me that there were 262 V-8 Lark/Hawks built between your car and his IN ONE DAY! Which means probably quite a few MORE, at least 2 counting these 2, because we don't know how close either car was to the last those days!

The other interesting fact is that line number 5882-5330 = 552, so subtracting 262 from that, maybe there were 290 6 Cyl. cars built between them in one day, and more counting the ones before the first # and after the last #! Seems like 552 is a good number for only two lines and maybe two shifts. I hope I did that right, Where's DecimalDude when you need him?
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Tachometer was supposed be standard equipment on both the V-K6 and cars ordered with the Avanti engine option. It would appear as item #40 on the Production Order. The engines were numbered sequentially but were put in a holding area near the chassis assembly line. Needless to say they weren't used on a first in/First out basis.

R2Andy

The JT and JTS engines were serialed seperately. Each started with 1001.
                R2Andrea

Comment

The car is 55 years old. A lot of thing could (and do) happen in that time. The tach fails. Too expensive to fix. A clock is found to plug the hole in the dash.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

My car has a tach yet there is no mention of item 40 on the production record. The picture of the dash in the e-bay car shows a clock on the left side but the right side is flush where the tach would be mounted. (no hole or plug)

60 Lark convertible
                    61 Champ
                    62 Daytona convertible
                    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2)
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The Tach. was supposed to be standard as Andy said on JT and JTS cars, but not on Std. V-K6 G.T. Hawks, it was an option and many were sold with that blank out dash panel that looks really ugly like something is missing, I don't know why they did not use a dummy like they did on the Tach. hole on '56-'61 Hawks, for both the Clock hole and the Tach. hole on '62-'64's. [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

The car is 55 years old.
                        Decimal-dude-in-training, here...

My organic calculator provides 45 years as the age

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                        53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW

Decimal-dude-in-training, here...

My organic calculator provides 45 years as the age

Whoops [:I]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

That'll teach me to start wearing my glasses. I missed the fact that the asterisk on the price list pretained only to the tach being standard with the Avanti Engined cars. It was a $53.80 option on the hawk. Although the tach was listed for the K6 only, there were a few non Avanti powered Larks special ordered with them.

R2Andy
                            R2Andrea

Comment

There has been something that wasn't quite addressed yet with the case of the Hawks. Through the years the Hawks had a couple of styles of tachs:

There's a plain white needle, all white face tach
                              There's a tach that resembles the tach in my Lark, which is a colored needle, 5K redline tach, basically a tach with some color.

In either case functionality wise, they do the same thing. However, with the case of the Super Hawk tachs, I believe that they are the much more gussied up tach than the regular Hawk tach. Do correct me if I'm wrong, but it's something to consider when an individual walks by a vendor's table looking for a Super Hawk Tach and seeing it's plain white face cousin.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-3-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X