No announcement yet.

SASCO/Studebaker Corridor scenes (PIX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SASCO/Studebaker Corridor scenes (PIX)

As I've said before here and elsewhere, I'm of melancholy temperament; of course I'm also a confirmed Stude nut now. Consequently, I was floored by my maiden SASCO visit...what a place! Here are a few suitably elegaic images:

The venerable sign over the low-key door on Franklin Street

Arrayed in front of the former Engineering Building by chance, all four main mass-market automotive product lines being built in the South Bend plant when it ceased operations: 64 GT, 63 Avanti, ca.63 Champ, and 64 Daytona HT. The Hawk and Daytona are Hamilton Chapter cars.

A darn good name.

Packard, too, can be remembered here...

I call this shot, taken across the field behind SASCO and featuring a beautiful red 64 GT, "Time Well Borrowed"...I'm not sure whether the building in the distance is Stude, but it looks the part...

Starlight and C-Cab, seemingly gazing back in time...

Made in America...once!

Old workhorse, last task long since accomplished...

Ghosts in the courtyard

"Still Life With Red Door"

Memories of the war effort

Other end of the courtyard space, full of axles, Champ parts, a Wagonaire, et cetera...

Again, hope the forum enjoys these.

Cheers

S.

I enjoyed them - thanks Steve!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Starlight and 2R, seemingly gazing back in time...
      Thanks for posting the pictures. However, with the large rear window, the truck would be an E series (looks like a '56 or later with the wide box).

Comment

CD--

Thanks; changed the caption to "C-Cab"...these truck IDs keep tripping me up![]

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Collection Doctor

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Starlight and 2R, seemingly gazing back in time...
          Thanks for posting the pictures. However, with the large rear window, the truck would be an E series.
          That building in the background IS a Studebaker building, and a very important one. That was the Foundry, and I hope some took the opportunity during that zone meet to take a tour of the facility as its coming down next year.[xx(]

Craig
          Last edited by 8E45E; 10-17-2016, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Great photos, thank you!

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.
            1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Are you a pro photographer, Steve? Those pics and captions belong in a book. wow!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Much appreciated, thanks.

Comment

What Bob Glasscock said, Steve: Excellent photography and captions. (Art Unger will likely be calling!) BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My trip was so short that I hardly had time to contemplate such perspectives. Thanks for the views and if you have more post them. My 10 hour visit was about seven days too short!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

"If I have more"...well, not too many more on P'bucket, but yeah, I'm a bit of a nutjob with a camera...took about 1700 photos during the course of the four days of the ZM. Here are a few more melancholy SASCO shots...

I just call this one "Shopping".

Closeup of the Champ parked outside the front door, reminding me of a mean ol' guard dog...

View across the nose of the C-Cab toward what I now know to be the Foundry Building...

Another view of the old work truck parked in the breezeway

Weathered Champ, 62 Lark rat rod, and Foundry

Yet another trusty old Champ (I saw more Champs that weekend than I'd have thought existed!)

Bob and Bob et al (I think "Bob" ought perhaps to be the quasi-official SDC given name)...thanks much for the kind words about these photos. I could've stayed a week, taking pix all the while, in a place like that! And, indeed, I'm mulling over returning this summer for more Lark bits and another visit...

S.

Comment

Thanks for the great pix.
                        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I enjoyed the pictures. Thank you for posting.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

quote:Posted - 05/11/2009 : 9:21:40 PM
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Yet another trusty old Champ (I saw more Champs that weekend than I'd have thought existed!)
                            About the picture of the truck above with the above quote...
                            I think this truck belongs to Jerry Lambeth of Thomasville, NC. I met him and he had an amazing tale about this truck. It was stolen a few days before the meet! He got it back the next day and still managed to drive it to South Bend. He was loading it up with parts from SASCO and other vendors on Saturday morning. Great guy to talk to.

John Clary
                            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                            SDC member since 1975
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                            X