starting my 49 champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting my 49 champ

Hey everyone, Im in my shop today trying to get my 49 champ sedan started for the first time since piecing it together. I dont have my gas tank all hooked up so Im just pouring gas into the carb, Im new to trying it this way and am not even sure how much gas to pour in. When I turn the key the engine turns but wont fire up, also Im getting what seems like backfire coming out of the top of the carb. Im not 100% sure if my destributor is in right. I just recently got a mallory electronic ignition and there was no original distributor in the engine so I had no starting point with that.

Any suggestions?

Glendora, California

Turn your distributor counter-clockwise about a half of a plug terminal.

Comment

I tried that and also switched my plugs into my distributor around, it switched the backfires to go through my exhaust so now im slightly adjusting the advance. Ive got it to start trying to fire but it sounds like its not cranking fast enough. My starter is recently rebuilt and Ive converted to twelve volts. Is it possible ive drained my battery low from trying to start it so many times? what should I try next?

Glendora, California

Comment

Put a charger on your battery overnight.
        Rotate your engine until the #1 cylinder is at top dead center. The timing mark should be right on the pointer at that spot. Turn your distributor so that the rotor is pointing right straight ahead. Check your spark plug wiring to be sure it is correct, then put it all back together and it should start right up. Once it is running, you can readjust it.

Comment

I like to turn the distributor back and forth while cranking it. But some folks are afraid to do that.

Comment

Thanks to some good help from Dwain I was able to figure out my plugs and even got the engine to fire up! Thanks Dwain. Now the next problem...sounds like the starter is still running once the engine starts. Im guessing I wired something wrong to it (First time ever trying to wire anything) Where should I look first?

Glendora, California

Comment

Working...
            X