Turner disc brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turner disc brakes?

Has any one done this conversion? Is the rear disc set up worth the money?The Turner is kind of spendy is there another? THX BOB

Hello,

I used Turner's "basic" front disc conversion on my "64 Wagonaire.
    Why did I use the basic kit? I'm cheap and work in the automotive parts business. So I bought all the individual pieces and assembled it.
    If I was to do it again, I'd buy the whole kit.
    The brackets are well made and the installation was very straight-forward and easy to do.
    Jim is a super guy to deal with.

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car.

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

I've installed the Turner front kit on my '63 Avanti and '64 Daytona. It's easy to install and the improved braking was well worth the price. I really don't think the rear conversion is necessary.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

I bought the Turner Deluxe kit for my Daytona.I had my mechanic install it and he said the job went smoothly.No prop.valve or rear disc setup needed.A good value for the money and Mr. Turner is a nice fellow to deal with.The best investment I have made car-wise.Now if I could only get it to GO as good as it stops........

Comment

I have the Turner Disc Brake Kit on my 56 GH. Took about 2.5 hours to install as I had use of a lift. If not, figure about 3.5 hours.

Car is much more "drivable", and while your at it, use his Dual Master Cylinder conversion kit. That is a big safety issue. Buy his deluxe kit as you will find that if you go about buying the extra needed parts you will most likely wind up paying more money.

Comment

There are others, though Turner is the most common. Soon there will
            be a thread put up for a CASO version of my brake conversion. That
            should answer a lot of questions about cost, ease of assembly and the
            wheels required for the smaller GT setup.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I have Jims front kit on my 61 Lark,with stock V8 Stude rear drums.I have NEVER had a problem stopping my Lark from the 104 + MPH it runs in the quarter mile.

Comment

I installed the Turner kit on the front of my 63 Avanti it stops very good.One problem i had was the the banjo bols were
                to short,i emailed Jim & he gave me a new number for the bolts.I also installed the Dave Tbow dual master cylinder &
                changed over to silicone fluid.

Lenny
                Atlanta Ga.

Comment

Due to noise problems that defied solution, I changed the front brakes on my '70 Avanti to the Turner system. I bought the entire kit from Jim Turner (great guy BTW). The only change I made was install a set of ceramic brake pads rather than the ones he supplied with the kit. Excellent performance and very quiet. Worth every penny.

The tech who installed the kit for me is a hot rodder and use to modifying cars for racing. It took him less than three hours and said it's the best quality and best engineered brake conversion kit he had ever seen. Anyone who installs this kit will not be unhappy.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Dual master is a MUST for any Stude, disc or drum.

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Turner Brakes

I am in the process of ordering the deluxe set from Turner. I did a lot of research prior to making this purchase. I settled on the Turner Brake because of these forum comments and the look of the parts in the kit. I was impressed with the online instructions that you could read and study prior to doing an install also.

I have worked on old cars for years and have all the tools I need to tackle this project.

As for disc on the front only...60-70% of your braking is on the front anyways and doing the front should accomplish this nicely.

I also ordered the dual master cylinder for the safety factor.

I'll get back with ya'll when I complete the modification.

The only problem I am having with all this is that I am putting on fome after market wheels and having trouble getting the right wheels. I may have to install some 15X6X4.5 rims with spacers and longer studs.
                      I'll tackle that when the time comes.

By the way guys...I just bought this GT Hawk for $3000 and it is straight with good glass. the 289 is strong and the 4 speed is impressive.

Tom

Comment

Tom, did you ever get your kit ready to sell ? Do you have any in stock ?
                        64 Champ long bed V8
                        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Took less than three hours to install. They work perfectly and Jim stands behind his work. If there is any problem he sends a replacement without any questions.

After I had his discs installed the car could only go about 1 mile until brakes locked up. Over a two week period I paid out over $500 for different mechanics to find the problem. Nobody could solve the problem. I called Jim and askd him if i paid for his airline ticket and hotel could he fix my brakes. He arrived a few days later. It took him 5 min to determine what everybody else could not. The new master cylinder I bought was defective. He changed out the MC and have not had a problem since.

BG

Comment

Great product, great guy - stands behind his product and his tech help is invaluabe. Definitely worth the money.
                            My mechanic has done a lot of hotrod and custom work and simply raved about the ease of installation on my 62 Hawk.

Get the deluxe kit and the dual MC - you wil be glad that you did. I put a set of 15x7 Cragar SS wheels on it and they fit fine.
                            sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Comment

Originally posted by Kdancy View Post
                              Tom, did you ever get your kit ready to sell ? Do you have any in stock ?
                              I never put together a "kit" since with the bracket all the parts needed can be
                              bought at your FLAPS. I sold 9 sets of brackets, with one set of basic GT left.
                              The person that ordered them left me hanging (after moding a Cobra set to
                              a GT single), but I recently have another interested party to buy my GT setup
                              left from the original mockup.

The CNC shop that I used had his Haas mill breakdown and he hasnt fixed it
                              yet so I am currently dead in the water. Thanks for your interest.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X