Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L5 pick-up box dimensions

Hello Everyone
    About five L5s came to NZ as chassis-cabs. We have two left and wish to replicate the factory pick-up box. It is a task to make your eyes water!

Does anyone know where we can find patterns, photographs and dimensions that might help us?

ATB from DownUnder
    L5Only

Welcome to the Forum.Might you be referring to the 2R5 pickup box? If you are, the only source for the drawings (blueprints) of the box would be the Studebaker National Museum I would think.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Hello Frank
      Thanks for your reply. No, the L5, 1939. I think the 1938 K5 is the same.

Comment

Oh ok,you are right, did not think about that one. The "coupe express", my buddy close by here has a 1939,unrestored, but that does not help you. I still think the museum would be your best source to start, as the archives are across the street, for copies of blueprints to manufacture a box from scratch. Alternatively you could contact Richard Quinn for information on how to proceed.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If it is a CE, I think JEff Rice was having the rear fenders repopped in fiberglass, if that prospect does not offend you. Would certainly be easier than trying to find "good used" ones or worse yet trying to wheel them yourself!

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I believe the J-K-L5 Coupe Express beds are the same. To the best of my knowledge, the rear fenders were also, matching those on the '37-38 Dictators also.

The trickiest piece to fabricate will be that beautiful flaring of the outer bed walls to 'blend' into the fender contour.

Here's one from last fall's Pacific Zone Meet in Milpitas:

Andy
            62 GT

Andy
            62 GT

Comment

If I remember correctly...

The bed floors and tailgate are being reproduced in steel. I think someone is reproducing the fenders in fiberglass.

Anyone have some web links for these?

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/indy/gary_indycar25_vvsm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.
              '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard
              web site at http://www.studegarage.com
              Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard
              web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

The '37 J5 box is shorter than the '38 and '39.
                Richard Jandrache (sp?) was doing a beautiful repop tailgate (and IIRC, he could do the front panel, too.
                Rene' Harger in Knoxville has the molds for the rear fenders in fiberglass.
                I have seen the RHS tail light bracked recast in brass (bronze?), but don't remember who had them.
                I'll try to look up the names and phone numbers when I am back home at my PC..
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Andy R.

I believe the J-K-L5 Coupe Express beds are the same. To the best of my knowledge, the rear fenders were also, matching those on the '37-38 Dictators also.
                <snip>

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sounds like a fun project...
                  As strange as it may sound, there have been used Coupe Express pickup boxes sold in the US from time to time...
                  I have seen 5 of them in the last 5 years.
                  Perhaps you might get lucky and find a box that you could restore.
                  Steel fenders are going to be tough to find....
                  I have one pair that are hacked up, welded on, and bondo'd....
                  If push comes to shove, I can make you a deal on them.
                  I do believe that you can get the tailgate, front panel, and bed floor in new steel (I have to look up those people)...
                  Since the '37 was the highest production number (J5's), you might consider a '37 box if you can find one. It would be easier to lengthen that box than build the box from scratch.
                  Post pic's of your progress!
                  HTIH
                  Thanks...
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by L5Only

Hello Everyone
                  About five L5s came to NZ as chassis-cabs. We have two left and wish to replicate the factory pick-up box. It is a task to make your eyes water!

Does anyone know where we can find patterns, photographs and dimensions that might help us?

ATB from DownUnder
                  L5Only

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hello Jeff
                    Thanks for your replies.

I have a pair of 39 rear mudguards (fenders) off a CE. They are rough. Mine has 38 Commander guards, modified, on a homebuilt box that bears no resemblance to the factory box. I also have a spare pair of front guards (fenders), one with the wheel well (looks like nice lace work). Mine has had the wheel well removed. The spare is carried under the rear of the bed, in a lengthened part of the chassis. It is my understanding that the 37 rear guards are different to the 38 and 39. The other L5 in NZ has a post-war Chev box on it I think.

I had thought of bringing sheet metal parts from the US, but I expect it will be pricey and hard to get them here without damage. However, I might find out that is not true when I look into it.

I'll look up Mr Jandrache. I have looked at Rene's website (slickstreetstuff).

Thanks again for your help.
                    Graham

Comment

This may or may not help, but you might maybe want to check with Bill~

I think that's what you're looking for, isn't it [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks StudeDave. No, I want the factory box. I have a box now that is serviceable. The attraction is the very pretty curves in all directions in the factory box. See the picture in Andy R's post. I saw that vehicle in South Bend '97 when it was just finished. I also saw the long K5 in Christchurch before it was restored and am disappointed it is for sale again, looking a little sad compared to the last photos I saw of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X