Nice pictures, from the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice pictures, from the past

Going into some old boxes and came up with these, pictures form the past , Red 63 R-2 Standard Who owns ? May 1995 Calendar

1964 Lark Daytona R-2 Orphaned Muscle.

Never lost a race, Sanders Flanders special-Flanders Speed Equipment, Toledo

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

If Ted Harbit went to small hubcaps he could claim it.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Bob: The Super Red, R2 1963 Standard was and still is owned by Nelson Bove. The front fenders were replaced years ago and the shop did not reinstall the Studebaker script at the front of the new fenders.

Cousin George Krem and I saw this car when it was brand new in 1963. It was parked in a small, open Studebaker employee parking lot north of the railroad tracks that run alongside the Studebaker Administration Building, a lot between those RR tracks and Freeman-Spicer.

The lot was not fenced or gated, so we were able to walk around the car, drooling. Nelson was able to verify the car's provenance and confirm it was indeed the car we had admired.

It was built as an R2 car but without the full high-performance package. Allegedly, Super Red was available only on full-package cars. However, this is one documented exception. As we know, "never say never" in Studebaker History Land! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob you are right it is Nelsons, I believe he worked for Studebaker back then didn't he? so he could get what he wanted. I talked to him once at a national, and it is this one that turned me toward my Standard..Bob

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

don't think Nels ever worked for Studebaker, but I'd bet he's put in as many hours working ON them as some guys who worked FOR them!
          I'm reasonably sure this is the car I took for a short drive one "thursday/garage night" a couple years ago and scared my big ol' bro-in-law to death, as he didnt think I knew how to handle "old cars". guess I went a bit faster than his comfort level but it was not how nels or ted would have pushed it! Upon return from the short drive, I asked Nels if I could buy it and only got a grin with no reply.
          Nels, you don't read this forum, do ya?
          I wasn't going too fast...just faster than Dan M thought I should!

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Bob you are right it is Nelsons, I believe he worked for Studebaker back then didn't he? so he could get what he wanted. I talked to him once at a national, and it is this one that turned me toward my Standard..Bob

Castro Valley, CA

Melody L. Snow

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Bob Peterson
            Well, Bob, if Nelson Bove worked for Studebaker, they would have been handling child labor law litigation about the time they closed.[:0][}]

IIRC, Nelson was about 15 years old the day Studebaker ceased production in South Bend (give or take a year; I was not quite 18 when Studebaker threw in the South Bend towel, and Nels is maybe 20-30 months younger than me).

He remembers riding his bicycle over to see the new Avanti late in 1962 or early in 1963 and wishing he was old enough to have a drivers license so he could drive one when they were new. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ok sorry about that nelson , making you older than you really are, but some where I though I heard he had work for Studebaker but I can be wrong once in my life can't I????? but what ever, that is one nice car for a bottom of the line, note no hood ornament, no front or rear window molding and no trunk emblem, they should have just called this model Jane. I love my Jane and plan on keeping it a long time..Bob

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Working...
              X