Recent local SASCO news.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent local SASCO news.

Finally after going on line for sometime now to my home town paper "The South Bend Tribune" looking for anything concerning SASCO. Today they finally made mention of what has been going on and a proposal as such, from the city. Plus a couple of comments from two of the local residents. You can read it for yourself by going on line and simply entering (South Bend Tribune) and when their site comes up scroll down to Local News and you will find the article. It may be good news or maybe not only time will tell. But at least it looks like something is going on and now it will be seen by more of the locals and perhaps that will stir up some interesting ideas. We can only hope clear minds will pervail.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Interesting... Good to see that folks are talking. [^]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for the info and the link.

Mike

Comment

Very reasonable sounding report. Makes the "closure" of SASCO seem less pending, rather the city is looking to help in making a physical move which will enable them to stay in business.

Lots of luck.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Very reasonable sounding report. Makes the "closure" of SASCO seem less pending, rather the city is looking to help in making a physical move which will enable them to stay in business.

Lots of luck.

Nice story, but Dennis has been told nothing about relocating. Not a hint from the city that they would help. Sounds like a story to keep the sh#t storm they had the first time from happening.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Cool, hope those negotations keep on rollin'.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

If the reported was given faulty info by the city, then the city is really playing an unethical game on a dirty slippery slope. Shame on them.

Comment

With today's economy and unemployment situation, any city that effectively forces a firm out of business should be ashamed of itself...and suffer some consequences...like a loss of Federal funds (which they're probably counting on to actually raze the SASCO and old Studebaker buildings).

I can't imagine any congressman, Senator or even the White House would be pleased by a governmental entity making things worse for a firm instead of better.

Remember, they're here to help us...

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

If the reported was given faulty info by the city, then the city is really playing an unethical game on a dirty slippery slope. Shame on them.

Well they did say it was early in negotiations, so early they have not told the owner of SASCO.

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

The second person that responded on the Trib's website to the article, is a doofus. Who says anything about saving "a bunch of old factory buildings?" We're talking about ONE!

Sheesh, get informed, buddy!

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                      '64 Daytona Hardtop
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

I agree with JDP's take on the statement. SASCO only employs a few people, and I doubt that SB really cares if it stays in business or not. The city is just slanting the story a bit to make it look like they're being reasonable so that they don't get the blow-back they did last time. They are, after all, politicians -- if their lips are moving, you can be sure that they're lying.

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Well, at least we got some nice print space and kept the marque in the local thoughts:

Comment

On a positive note, if the city is 'talking' about solutions within its bureaucracy, it may be trying to come up with a proposition for SASCO and that is why Dennis doesn't 'know' anything about it yet. The city (according to the March article) made a workable proposition to Undergroung Pipe (? correct name) which moved the business and kept it going. This may be what they are looking to do with SASCO. I think that there is a lot of conversation and debate within the government entity before it actually approaches public individuals.

That was the case here a few years ago when the city decided to cooperate with a real estate company to improve a section of town. The original rumors and talk were far off the mark when the final agreement was reached. Still much controversy over the whole thing, but it took the city a long time to 'negotiate' within itself before it presented what it considered to be a workable solution to the public and the real estate company.

I'm going to pray that this is the tip of a very good outcome for SASCO.

Comment

Even if Dennis {may not} and I don't know one way or another, be interested in moving, possibly a new entity could carry on the business. I might leave behind most of the large truck brake and backing plate assemblys. Just flapping my jaws. jimmijim
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X