Installing Avanti Windshields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Avanti Windshields

Got a glass guy coming by my shop to help me install both the front and rear windshields.

I have new gaskets, a tube of 3M sealer, and some putty strips.

Anyone have any special tips or advice they'd care to share?

The shop manual says it's a three person job -is it really?

Thanks in advance ~Will

Will

I can't speak to Avanti's but I used a windex sprayer with a mix of dish detergent and water for the install in my 54. Made things go a lot easier.

My brother and I did mine. We had little experience with windows this size but it worked out quite well. Three would be better to apply pressure to a larger area but we made it work.

Also used 3/16" clothes line to pull it in.

Good luck

Bob

Comment

It's a lot easier than you think. 3 people for sure 2 maybe for the front but definitely 3 for the back. Back needs to go in with the rearmonst part first and then push down at the roof edge.

The hardest part for me was screwing the clamps down. In order to get things clamped I had to use trim screws that were too long to catch the clamp and then trim the screw. The right size screw wouldn't reach the clamp through the new seal. Also if the headliner is in place getting the clamps in the right place was a pain.

Put some masking tape on the vinyl inside the car because as you pull the cord any sealer that's on the cord will end up on the vinyl.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

I "helped" the guy at the glass shop put in front and back on my 63. He could have darn near done it himself. Didn't take long, doesn't leak ( of course, it doesn't rain much here). Find someone who knows what they're doing and it's a snap. He used rope just like shown in the shop manual.

1951 Rod
        1962 Champ
        1963 Avanti R1
        1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
        1964 Daytona Convertible
        2006 Avanti Convertible
        1951 Custom
        1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
        1962 Champ
        1963 Standard R1 4 speed
        1963 Avanti R1
        1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
        2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

GTs are no problem, both are flat, 53-61 front no problem rear that is a different thing, if it was stored wrong it might never go in right can't lay flat or on its back they get out of shape.and the rear curved needs 3 people that know what they are doing, one inside and 2 out ..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Working...
          X