1,358 miles in 35 hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1,358 miles in 35 hours

The miles and the time would not have been all that remarkable when my Brother and I were driving our big trucks expediting freight. But last Thursday I informed my wife that I was going to make my first "Pilgrimage" to South Bend. The poodle and I left home last Friday at close to 6:am and arrived back home Sunday morning a few minutes after 5:am. During that time we managed to visit SASCO, the zone meet, and the Museum. If you care to read about it, a story has been placed in the "Studebaker Stories" section of the SDC website.http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/studestories.asp
    I met a bunch of you forum guys (just can't remember the names) and had a great time! Thanks for all the friendly handshakes and conversation!

John Clary
    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Two years ago in Nov. my friend Ian Mackellar from Australia can over to go with me to Reedsville for the week end swap meet with pre sold items and stopping along the way to deliver, we were gone 9 day and spent 2-1/2 days in Reedsville and drove a total of 6,700 miles and went thought 24 states stopping 8 times going and 5 coming back with a few hours at SI these types of trips are old hat to us...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

I bet you guys spun some tall tales on that trip!
      One thing I did notice about South Bend. It is FLAT! In the museum, not many of the horse drawn wagons and carriages had brakes. It got me to thinking...if the cars of Indiana and Michigan had been built in the hills of Appalachia, or around the Rocky Mountains...the suspensions and brakes would have been very different!

John Clary
      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The hill holders sure work good in the hill of San Francisco, but have noticed the brakes sometimes getting stiff when used a lot in the hills....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Reminds me of when I used to make the 1500 mile round trip to the South Bend May Swap Meet for a weekend.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I went to South bend too, Swap meet, SASCO and the museum, picked up an RV in Goshen In and headed home. put on 2150 miles, I left Friday morning and returned home sunday afternoon, My wife and daughter even had a good time. If SASCO has some good deals in the near future I will do it again.

Tim in ND

Comment

Working...
            X