Studebaker franchise awarded on Dec. 8, 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker franchise awarded on Dec. 8, 1941

I recently sent a research request to the SNM archives for a new coworker of mine whose grandfather owned a Studebaker dealer in Aberdeen, SD. My coworker wasn't certain of the dates and when I told him I could find out through the SNM, he was intrigued so I went ahead and did it for him.

The dealer contract cards came in the mail this week.

His grandfather received his franchise for Dacotah Motors in Aberdeen, on 12/8/41!

Wonder how many cars he sold before production went full-tilt to military!

His grandfather died in March '59 at which time the grandfather's son (coworker's uncle) ran the dealership until Oct. '61. Too bad he didn't hang in there another year, as we know the '62 model year was a pretty decent production year for Studebaker and a sales improvement over '61.

The new owners, in Oct. '61, changed the name of the place to Hub City Motors. Amazingly, they were a Service Dealer until March '70 and a fellow named Howard Moser of "Howard's Service" was signed up as a Service Dealer in May '70. Surprised me that SASCO would be signing up service dealers that late.

Also, long shot I know, but if anybody might have Studebaker News copies from maybe the first half of 1952, and maybe the first half of 1957, I was wondering if you might be able to see if there could be a photo of a 10- or 15-year Studebaker anniversary plaque presentation that would include my coworker's grandfather. I'd pay for the legwork and copies.

Thanks!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

"HUB CITY MOTORS"? They can't call it that! That's Lubbock's nickname, the Hub City. Make them change it.......

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
    X