eliminating self-adjusters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eliminating self-adjusters

Can anyone help me, I've eliminated the self adjusters on my '53 2R6 pickup's brakes{all the parts were gone, anyway. Need to know how to make the washers or? to make the leading shoes adjustable.Anyone?

Ken Pyle

Ken,

You might try Dave @ Sam Jennings.
    He is pretty sharp with brake stuff.

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car.

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Ken-
      I've replaced the self adjusters on a couple '51-'52s, I have the approx. dimensions in the shop if you still need them. I may still have an aftermarket box that they came in! They work good, and since the rear shoes still need adjusting, it's no big deal.
      Bruce

Comment

thanks, Bruce. whatever you can find I'd really appreciate. Truck's been on stands too long.

Ken Pyle

Comment

Ken- Here is some info on the washers needed if you eliminate the self adjusters.Note that the forward shoe (with the self adjusters) has a smooth back, compared to the trailing shoe, which has a nub that the rear (adjustment) eccentric runs on. ALSO: measure the leading eccentric, it may be a different size than what I have here. You want the washer snug if possible, but a little loose will be OK.
          These dimensions were a copy from a set of NOS aftermarket units a buddy gave me (they were called "Roller Cams"). I had a machine shop turn them out for a minimal cost.
          I've used these on several cars with no problems, and are easy to adjust.

Comment

Ken- Here is some info. that I hope will help; I've used this set up on a few cars with great success. They are easy to adjust, too. Before you have these made, double check the measurements of your truck's backing plate. The washer should fit snug on the eccentric, if it's a little loose, that will still work.
            These dimensions were copied from a set of NOS original aftermarket washers, called "Roller Cams", I have lost the box so I can't tell you who made them.

Comment

SORRY_ I posted twice!!![V]

Comment

hey, getting real frustrated trying to find SOMETHING that I can make work. I found some washers with a 3/16 ID, but they were too large ID. My trusty Harbor Freight Electronic digital caliper says my cam is 1.130", so could probably file an 1 1/8 ID {1.125"}but can't find any in my area. Any clever craftsmen out there who could whip me up 4 of these things on your handy dandy lathe? Be happy to pay as nec to get this truck going. Thanx

Ken Pyle

Comment

why not replace the self adjusting hardware and be done with it?
                  everything is available as I've just done two of these cars for customers.

quote:Originally posted by studeken

hey, getting real frustrated trying to find SOMETHING that I can make work. I found some washers with a 3/16 ID, but they were too large ID. My trusty Harbor Freight Electronic digital caliper says my cam is 1.130", so could probably file an 1 1/8 ID {1.125"}but can't find any in my area. Any clever craftsmen out there who could whip me up 4 of these things on your handy dandy lathe? Be happy to pay as nec to get this truck going. Thanx

Ken Pyle

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

don't have an extra couple hundred laying around to put into this wrinkled old truck. besides, the shoes have already been relined.

Ken Pyle

Comment

Ken,

Would the parts your looking for be on the Champ in my yard?

George
                      Grants Pass, Oregon

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car.

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe
                      George King
                      Grants Pass, Oregon

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

no, George, these are like a '50 Commander. Your '63 has the first self-energizing truck brakes{like '54- pass. cars.thanx

Ken Pyle

Comment

The previous owner of my 1950 Champion welded wedge-shaped metal strips onto the "web" (?) of the brake shoes, in place of the self-adjuster hardware. They contact with the small eccentric. Since I didn't want to spring for the parts either, I replicated this design on my new brakes. It has worked for over a year and a half now.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                          Holdrege NE
                          John
                          1950 Champion
                          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                          Holdrege NE

Comment

thanx for the tip, may do that. kp

Ken Pyle

Comment

Working...
                            X