SAVE SASCO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAVE SASCO

I don't know all the details nor do I know Dennis but instead of getting mad at the City of South Bend, perhaps the members of SDC could rise to the occasion to save SASCO. There could be two steps in how to help.

1. With depressed real estate maybe there is an altenative location that we could raise donations for and purchase (maybe at a real estate auction) for SASCO saving future leasing costs.

2. Then we could pick some dates come to South Bend and rent U-Haul trucks and everyone help him move into a new building.

I would be willing to pledge money and time to help out.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Is there a rail siding that can get up to the SASCO location?
    Betcha a donut we (as a group) could buy a string of rail cars.
    Load 'em up, and move them around the country, keeping one step in front of any landlords...
    Hey! Bring the train to Zone meets and International Meets!
    (Barnum&Bailey's circus train comes to mind)...
    I can see it now....
    "Hello...SASCO....."
    "You want P/N 123XYZ?"
    "We show that in boxcar #133"
    "I'll go check stock now...Call back Wednesday"
    (pause.....)
    "Hey, has anyone seen boxcar #133?"
    "You put it where!??"

Fade to commercial......
    (Always exploring alternate realities while facing this one)
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
      Betcha a donut we (as a group) could buy a string of rail cars.
      Load 'em up, and move them around the country, keeping one step in front of any landlords...

Jeff[8D][/b][/navy]

Sea cans would be a better way to go. They are very airtight, and best of all, can be moved almost anywhere.

Craig

Comment

You'ze Canadians' talk sooo cute...
        "Sea Cans"....
        Here in the US, (while eating Brie and drinking Kayo) we call them 'intermodal shipping containers'.....
        But they still take a rail car to put them on to move...
        Old fashioned, obsolete, orphan brand rail boxcars are more fitting...
        Pull 'em with an old Stude switcher, or GP6......
        Call it a 'Rat Rod Train'..
        Every town would pay you good money to leave[}]

(Idea's... I have a million of 'em....3 good one's, so far..[])
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E
        Sea cans would be a better way to go. They are very airtight, and best of all, can be moved almost anywhere.
        Craig
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]Pull 'em with an old Stude switcher, or GP6......
          Call it a 'Rat Rod Train'..
          Hmmm, flat black paint with a flame paint job...I like it.

Seriously, everyone is assuming Dennis wants to go thru moving again. I would rent a truck out of pocket to help Dennis move, but I can't make him move. If Dennis wants out of the business you'll need to find a new owner. Or find a lawyer who will work pro-bono to enforce the length of the lease (3 or 4 years left?) or have the city pay for moving due to bad faith.

You can't force Dennis to stay in business if he's still worn out from the last move.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tracy and I would be willing to donate a few bucks to a workable plan. We cant commit to donate time due to work conflicts (hey we like eating and living indoors) but are certainly willing if it times out to be possible. As said already several times in these posts though it is Dennis' stuff and his decision whether to try it or not.And my opinion is South Bend should pick up at least part of the tab IF there was time left on his lease as a couple people here have said. I am no lawyer and know NOTHING of this lease except what I have read here lately but I think a good lawyer could make that happen with little effort IF IF IF there was time left on his lease. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

I agree.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

So all of this means, if Dennis does not desire to continue, then WE need to buy it, simple as that We all have a Million or so in our IRA's to invest right? [)]

But as Mark57 suggested and BILLMDONN calculated, on the original SASCO Closing Post, collectively, 12,000 people could easily raise a Million Two Hundred thousand at only $100.00 each, why that's ONLY 27.39 cents a day for one year! [:0]

That SHOULD be enough to buy and move it with volunteer help.
                The question is: "could Bondo Billy run THAT big of an SDC Store? [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Or we could contribute to a legal defense fund, if it went that way.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Iam game for any thing, most of all putting it to the City of South Bend if this is the way they want to go, we also need people in the city to get up for it some...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

I am game for any thing, most of all butting it to the City of South Bend if this is the way they want to go, we also need people in the city to get up for it some...Bob
                      Hey, this just gave me a crazy idea! Why not try to get someone like 60 Minutes to tell our story, and REALLY stir up some All American "can do" spirit? How dare South Bend to try to destroy it's own heritage! That would put some SERIOUS pressure on them to re-consider their senseless decision to create empty lots that no one will be able to afford to build on!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well go for it. This is the End of the last direct descendent of the once mighty Studebaker empire,a buisness that has continued in operation in one form or another since Studebaker closed in 1963. With all the focus on current auto industry woes,this story would probably be picked up. It would send SASCO off with a bang for sure! Why not go for it? It would be neat to see our Orphans in the news!
                        But on the other hand,would this screw up any deal between a current potential buyer of the SASCO inventory by bringing some deep pocket speculator into the mix who would only see dollar signs in saving the inventory and milking the rabid followers of the mark? I could really see a high dollar business man looking to park some investment capitol buying the stuff up, pricing it out of the range of the typical CASO to double their investment,and then getting whizzed off and scraping all the parts for a tax deductable business loss of some sort.
                        I do not want to see Dennis,a potential buyer or US get screwed out of a deal that could save the SASCO inventory! We need the parts.We need them affordable.And we need to see if the deal with the interested party is successful before really stiring crap up because "when the crap hits the fan,it will not be distributed evenly !!."

Comment

"Saving South Bend's SASCO and finally, a Few Minutes With Andy Rooney...all coming up next on 60 Minutes.....tick tick tick tick tick..." Has a nice ring to it!

Comment

Having ALL of the facts right would be a good thing as well...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                            just sayin'
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I talked to Ed Reynolds in South Bend and he assured me that the Sasco inventory will be saved!!!
                              He is in negotiations with the respective parties.
                              So let him handle it and everybody else step back.
                              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
                              X