Pretty good Studebaker day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty good Studebaker day.

Well, despite the sad news of Sasco's impending closure, I nevertheless managed to get outside and do some work on the 2R6 pickup I've been piddling with.

The last session saw the clutch and bellhousing installed. Today I began re-connecting the clutch linkage, but I soon found that the pedal would go to the floor without the release bearing making contact with the pressure plate. There just wasn't enough adjustment available. So I pulled the cross-shaft back out, the one that runs between the frame rail and the bellhousing. The lever arm on the frame end was mounted parallel with the pin-hole in the other end. I heated up the brazed joint, and knocked the shaft out of the lever arm, and then trial-fit the lever arm back on at a slight angle, such that it would point forward, instead of hang straight down. Wasn't quite enough, had to move it again. Once I had it where I wanted it, I welded the arm in place.

Next, I got the T86/OD transmission on a floor jack, and rolled it under the truck, and got it jacked up into place. I used a couple of dowels in the top mounting holes of the bellhousing, which helped line it up. Dowels in this case simply being old head bolts with their heads cut off.

Then I hooked up the drive shaft, OD kickdown cable, speedometer cable, and shift linkage rods. Then I installed the starter, and re-connected the throttle linkage, which had been disconnected to aid in removal of the starter.

All that remains to do is fill the tranny with oil, hook up the overdrive electrical parts, and place the tunnel cover back on the floor. Then install a battery, and see if it will run.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

That's about 2 weeks of full time work for me [^]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
    X