Sand Car Rebuild - 51 Commander NW Donor needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand Car Rebuild - 51 Commander NW Donor needed

I dont know if I could be ANY more excited, at least today (tommorrow is another story, a day closer). The 1951 Commander Desert Explorer (aka Sand Car), which has resided in the Studebaker Proving Ground Prototype Graveyard for around 60 years is about to have it's day.

With Many, Many thanks VERY MUCH to Mike Lenyo, as well as an ever growing group of dedicated SDC members, and the folks at Bosch, the Desert Explorer Sand Car prototype is set to be removed from the woods and sent to be fully restored. As planned, it will eventually return to be on long term display at the Studebaker National Museum, joining the woody and other cars also rescued from the graveyard. It is planned to be displayed as a "joint effort" project of the SDC chapters involved with the Rescue and Restoration, as well at the contributions of Bosch, Mad Max Cars (the company doing the restoration), and probably many more folks along the way.

As many of you may know, if you are fimilar with the Graveyard, there is not a whole lot left of the original Sand Car (see below photos). So, it will require a fairly complete "Parts Donor" car to make the rebuild possible.

We have a one possibility, within about 25 miles of the Sand Car's original location, but there are 2 major problems to consider with it, so we are looking for alternitives:

#1) it is a 52 and the sand car is a 51. A restoration like this should be done as accurately as possible, making a 51 Commander a much more suitable choice.

#2) The Sand Car is coming to the shop in the Seattle/Tacoma area to be rebuilt. So although the 52 in Michigan can be had very reasonably, the shipping costs would make it far less attractive, especially if a 51 Commander can be located here in the Pacific Northwest.

So this is the call out to anyone and everyone... 1951 Commander needed, as complete as possible, in the NW somewhere (ideally in the Seattle/Tacoma Metro area). As this is a philenthropic endevor, We are certianly open to donations, but we also understand nothing in this world is truly free so a "Reasonable Deal" is what we have our sights set on.

As the project progresses, we will also need all the input, advice, encouragement and inspiration we can possibly get. Particularly from the ever informed and friendly folks here in the SDC & on the Forum. I will also try to personally make sure the build gets covered here in the forum, for all to enjoy.

Before, and a vision of "After":

55 Commander
    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
    KARR (Knightrider)
    Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

"Hero Car Ranch"; Seattle, Wa.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
    KARR (Knightrider)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Good luck with the project, I have often thought of trying to do the same thing.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

This is GREAT NEWS~ I'm Glad to hear it's happening!!!

Contact Dad (StudeRich) at Studebakers NorthWest.
      I think he's got what you need up in Ferndale.

I'll be there at the end of May...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
      San Diego, CA (for now)

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Desert Explorer

Great story- very exciting to hear[^]

One question- isn't the last picture a '50, making the original a '50, or are these two different cars?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Dylan:
          Thank you very much. We will need a bit of luck, and all the good wishes.

Dave:
          Thank you VERY much for the refrence. I will contact him stright away. That is just what I was hoping to hear!

Bob:
          That last one in the photo is THE ORIGINAL 1950 Desert Explorer Commander (presumably the one that appeared in the "Desert Explorers" film (available from the SNM giftshop)). The one in the graveyard is pretty likely to be a 51 from all I am told (as evidenced by the single piece back window), and if so is probably the only 51 Desert Explorer built (a deeper look into records at the museum will determine that hopefully). So they are 2 diffrent cars........... I sure do wonder what ever happened to the one in the film.

55 Commander
          XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
          KARR (Knightrider)

55 Commander Regal Coupe
          XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
          KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

Dee, I'm honestly glad to see this finally take shape... Good luck. Let me know if there's anything I could do to help.

BTW, looking at the pics on Mr. Lenyo's site.. Looks like the sand car may need a roof swap as well. Those big tree limbs haven't been kind..

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

If you should find one in the the top half of California I would offer to pick it up and bring it north if needed, I need a trip to see a few friends up that way any way....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Wow, Dee; what an undertaking! Congratulations. When done, it will be a real magnet at any old-car meet; Studebaker or otherwise.

How about a continuous-loop video player near the car, showing that video of the Desert Explorer romping around the Proving Grounds? BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I found a piece of 51 rocker panel trim at the Muncie Dragway that you can have.

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
                  sigpic
                  Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

I found a piece of 51 rocker panel trim at the Muncie Dragway that you can have.

Lark: That will likely be the funniest post today, but folks will need the following to appreciate it:

BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Might want to contact Bob Williams in Portland, or Chris Coop in Vancouver, WA. They might know where a donor car could be found.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I think Chris Coop and his dad hauled a '51 Commander out of Visalia some years back. I doubt they've restored it.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

O.K. a day closer, and I AM more excited. It has been a long time in planning, it is great to see it coming true!

Matt:
                          Thank you, that means a lot to me[:I]. I am sure we will need all the help (and luck) we can get. I saw those pix of the roof and groaned, but we will try to "Massage" it out, we want to save as much original car as possible.

Mike:
                          Thanks a bunch! I am in no huge hurry. Paitence and persistance (and a lot of research) will be my hallmarks in this project.

Bob:
                          Thank you, very much. It sure has been an adventure getting this far. I am sure the Desert Explorer will be an awesome sight when it is complete. I REALLY like the idea of running the film as part of any show display![8D]

Lark & Bob:
                          Thank you for the comic relief. I got a good chuckle out of it (after I refered to the post that gave the punchline some punch).

Gord:
                          I will do that. We will want the best example we can come by (without totaling an otherwise restorable one) that fits the bill.

Mr.Biggs:
                          Are they local to the NW area? I should contact them if so.

55 Commander
                          XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                          KARR (Knightrider)

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                          XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                          KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

This is really exciting I am just sorry all the action is taking place so far away. Good Luck with this endeavor.

Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Cool. Good luck with this project. Looking forward to seeing the finished car.

Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO
                              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                              Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
                              X