Vintage air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage air

Anyone got any pictures of under the hood of a late model lark type with modern vintage air installed ?

[IMG]
    Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Anyone got any pictures of under the hood of a late model lark type with modern vintage air installed ?
    Will have by the middle of the week- when I get my car back. You may have to remind me to take some pix (CRS).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Would appreciate that Paul
      By the way heres where mine is sitting right now . I'd like to see just where otheres have installed their dryer unit .

[IMG]

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      sigpic

Comment

Bob,

Looks like you've been busy over the winter and things are getting close to being wrapped up. Congratulations.

When are you leaving for South Bend? Maybe we could meet up.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
        Oakville, Ontario.
        Hamilton Chapter
        See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Heading out here about 5 in the morning , plan on stopping , as usual , at Bob Evans in Port Huron for breakfast and fuel .

[IMG]

1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          sigpic

Comment

Got my car back today. I had bought a complete a/c setup from Ebon Jones (railway on the Forum) over a year ago. I planned to install it myself, but finally decided I wasn't going to do it. So, I had my car at a mechanic friend's place re-doing all the suspension rubber. He found that the radiator was seeping so I had him go ahead an take it our for re-coring. He asked if since the radiator was already out, how about installing the a/c? So, I took him the kit. I'm not sure it is exactly what you would get from Vintage because Ebon puts in every nut, bolt, clip, hose, belt, etc you need. But the compressor mounting hardware and the idler pulley mounts are from Vintage. He ran in to a few small problems. The first was the crank pin wasn't threaded far enough to tighten the pulleys. I had a NOS correct bolt and that solved that problem. Then, instead of drilling and tapping another hole on the driver's side of the water mainfold for a 90-degree pipe nipple for the heater hose, he modified a steel street "L" and brought the heater hose out under the compressor. The three-row radiator rubbed against the cross support in front of the radiator so he had to shim the radiator our away from the frame a little. Then, my viscous fan wouldn't clear the compressor pulley so he had to make a 3/16" fan spacer to bring it out a little. I had given him some pictures of the factory a/c in my Wagonaire and I noticed it had a spacer between the fan and the hub too. On the factory a/c the dryer is in front of the radiator where it can't be seen so I had him mount the dryer in the inner fender where you can see the sight glass. Finally, there were no wiring instructions and since I hadn't told him to talk to Ebon or his shop, he called Vintage Air and they helped him with the hookup.
            The evaporator looks somewhat like a factory unit, but it is smaller. It has a three-speed fan switch rather than a continuously variable one like the factory. On high the evap fan is very powerful and should cool the entire car easily.
            Here is the evaporator- Im going to have to shift it a little as it won't allow the glove box door to open all the way.

Under the hood-

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

'64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul that is a very neat installation, I like that the Compressor mounting bracket does not interfear with the water outlet and go under it.

Is that a Sanden Japanese Compressor?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Seeing Paul's photos is getting me inspired to install the Vintage system I got last year on the Hawk.

Perry
                '23 Special Six,
                '50 Business Champ,
                '50 Starlight Champ,
                '60 Lark droptop,
                '63 GT R1
                Perry
                \'50 Business Champion
                \'50 Starlight Champion
                \'60 Lark Convertible,
                \'63 GT R1,
                \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

That's cool in more ways than one. I really like the looks of the evaporator. Similar to the original, but smoother.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                  "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

/Cut/I'd like to see just where others have installed their dryer unit.
                    I think that Studebaker had the dryer hidden between the Grille and the Radiator, neatly out of sight.

It appears that with the Vintage Air setup, or with the nicer kit from Ebon Jones, Power Steering would be impossible, or at the very least a PITA!

I am glad we have Natural Air Conditioning here in Washington. [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

2R5/Bob B - Is your compressor down low enough to give adequate clearance for your hood?

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

/Cut/I'd like to see just where others have installed their dryer unit.
                        I think that Studebaker had the dryer hidden between the Grille and the Radiator, neatly out of sight.
                        It appears that with the Vintage Air setup, or with the nicer kit from Ebon Jones, Power Steering would be impossible, or at the very least a PITA!
                        The dryer could have gone between the grille and the radiator, but I just like to be able to see a sight glass (probably no real valid reason though).
                        When I ordered the kit from Ebon he indicated that no power steering made it a lot easier, but I guess it can be accommodated.

Comment

Paul,

You really should have installed power steering FIRST.

I installed a Vintage Air system on my '64 Daytona with power steering. The adapter kit is a bit different, and it does take a skinned knuckle or two to adjust the A/C belt tensioner. But once it's set up, it's just fine. I mounted my dryer vertically, just inside of the core support.

Jim Bradley
                          Lewistown PA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          Jim Bradley
                          Lake Monticello, VA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          sigpic

Comment

Vintage Air makes a kit for power steering cars as well. The "long style" aftermarket brackets I have seen can be used on PS cars also. I have some pics of AC stuff I have done here: http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/k...debakergeorge/
                            The one on the Daytona was one of the first I did and has been on there for almost ten years now. I have done many more since, using all different types of brackets and adapters and also the Vintage stuff. The next one I do (I hope it is finally the one that has been waiting on the shelf for my Hawk for years)I will use the reduced barrier hose that is much smaller and way more flexible. I have a hydraulic crimper that will do that kind of hose along with the "regular" hose and I have been wanting to try a setup using it.

StudebakerGeorge

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Paul,
                              You really should have installed power steering FIRST.
                              I installed a Vintage Air system on my '64 Daytona with power steering. The adapter kit is a bit different, and it does take a skinned knuckle or two to adjust the A/C belt tensioner. But once it's set up, it's just fine. I mounted my dryer vertically, just inside of the core support.
                              Hey, just because you had a neater setup than mine...
                              I considered adding power steering, but the car actually steers very easily even with the 215x75 radial tires. It may be partly my imagination, but I think non-power steering cars handle better. There is just enough slop in the control valve action to make it less precise. When I had my '63 Avanti R-2 four-speed with fast manual steering, everyone who drove it commented on how much more precise it was than a power steering equipped Avanti with the same steering gear box (but it was a bear to turn at low speed). And, I don't have all those hoses running around and drips on the floor from a leaky control valve. I have sort of come to the point that simpler is better. I'm very happy that this car has standard finned drum nrakes with a split master cylinder in addition to standard steering.

Comment

Working...
                              X