Had to walk home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to walk home

I took "Vanni" my 63 Avanti out for ride. I got on the 4 lane and wound the engine up to 4,000 RPM when I heard something pop. Gages looked good and it was running fine but then I noticed the water temp was going up fast and she never overheats. Pulled into a parking lot and verified that the pop was the middle freeze plug on the left side exiting the engine. No chance of limping this one home. So I got to walk 2 miles home and call a tow truck. It was a nice day and I'll still love the car tomorrow after I get it fixed. Freeze plugs were replaced three years ago and it blew it completely out. Ant hints to help make sure these things stay in place.

Ken

Hi,First make sure you have the correct freeze plugs,they should be available through some of the vendors.Coat them lightly with rtv sealant and make sure they go in straight.There is a tool to install them with I highly reccommend using. Properly installed,correct plugs in a properly working system should never come out without help. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I agree with Steve. I wonder if your car had spiked to hot before you noticed it. I can't see a freeze plug just falling out with out the pressure of overheating unless the wrong size or improper installation had occurred.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

normally you don't have a problem getting the cup style (later blocks) to stay in. The earlier style plugs however are a little harder to install correctly. Your engine should have the later cup style plugs. I install them with #3 aviation permetex, (its a gasket sealent) These plugs can be tough to install while the motor is in the car. Lately I've had better luck with the brass adjustable type with the acorn nut that is tightened down after install. I don't particulary like the looks of them but on a v8 you have to look hard to see them. Either type you choose just make sure they go in as straight as possible.
        Good Luck!
        quote:Originally posted by jd-stude

I took "Vanni" my 63 Avanti out for ride. I got on the 4 lane and wound the engine up to 4,000 RPM when I heard something pop. Gages looked good and it was running fine but then I noticed the water temp was going up fast and she never overheats. Pulled into a parking lot and verified that the pop was the middle freeze plug on the left side exiting the engine. No chance of limping this one home. So I got to walk 2 miles home and call a tow truck. It was a nice day and I'll still love the car tomorrow after I get it fixed. Freeze plugs were replaced three years ago and it blew it completely out. Ant hints to help make sure these things stay in place.

Ken

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        57 SH (project)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary
          I can't see a freeze plug just falling out with out the pressure of overheating unless the wrong size or improper installation had occurred.

Actually, even overheating shouldn't cause additional pressure if the radiator cap is working correctly...but even WITH additional pressure, surely a hose would go before a properly installed freeze plug.

A couple of those plugs are very difficult to install with the engine in the car (even with the exhaust system and starter removed). Could be it just wasn't fully seated.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I would've waited 45 mins and just drove it the two miles back home.

Comment

As Wolfie says, there is a tool that makes installation much easier with less chance of it going in crooked. It will clear the stock manifolds, just not the R3 type, and removal of the starter is a must for the rear freeze plug as well as the block drain plug. HTH

Dan Miller
              Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me once in a silver hawk,but I was 40 miles from home on the 4th of July. I had to call my brother to come get me and my girl friend. Left the car for a week before I could go back to get it, but it ran so hot it ruined the engine. So I got another Hawk and another girl friend. BTW I agree with the Aviation Permatex. It seems to wokk better than RTV. Also I usually take a Dremel and clean up the hole in the block first. Just be sure not to go too far. NT. P.S. My brother came and got us in his 55 Commander.

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

what tool?
                  I do multiple v8 engine flushes, replacing all core plugs in the process, I have a drawer full of homemade drivers etc. is there a factory made tool that will make this easier inquiring minds want to know
                  quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

As Wolfie says, there is a tool that makes installation much easier with less chance of it going in crooked. It will clear the stock manifolds, just not the R3 type, and removal of the starter is a must for the rear freeze plug as well as the block drain plug. HTH

Dan Miller
                  Atlanta, GA

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                  57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  57 SH (project)

Comment

Russ,

Google "automobile freeze plug installation tool". You'll see what it looks like and most any FLAPS will have it, or can order it for you. HTH

Dan Miller
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

I just remembered a good story about freeze plugs. I had flushed and cleaned a block in a 62 GT for afriend and was having a extra hard time getting the plugs in.I didn't know about the tool either. I sat down to rest and unwind a bit,and called another friend. Charlie Proxmire. He is a very intelligent person with more common sense than most people, and has came up with some good escape plans before. So i asked"Charlie, do you know an easy way to put freeze plugs in?" His answer was "Well, did you freeze 'em?" I felt so foolish. Of corse if you put them in the freezer overnight they will shrink, then expand to make a tight seal when everything warms up. Strange I never thought about freezing freeze plugs. But there are some in the freezer section of my shop refridgerator now just in case. NT

Neil Thornton
                      Hazlehurst, GA
                      '57 Silver Hawk
                      '56 Sky Hawk
                      '51 2R16 dump truck
                      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I'm surprised you did not see a lot of steam when that plug came out. I blow a freeze plug once, steam every where. Some of the engine compartment was got cleaned.

Comment

All fixed now. I was very careful with the installation so I hope it never moves again. Didn't notice any steam while driving but I can't see alot out the back of an Avanti. It didn't even get the engine compartment dirty. Found that the flat bed driver didn't the hook one side of the car between the tie rod and the control rod on one side and bent a tie rod. Had a spare but will need to have alignment checked.

Comment

Working...
                          X