Just wondering about J.M. Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering about J.M. Studebaker

Did J.M. Studebaker ever have a driver's license? I think I have seen a picture of him driving a car in a parade. What Studebaker cars did he use as personal vehicles? Does anyone know?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I remember reading that he did not care for gasoline cars at all. He said they would never replace the horse. I suppose the electrics were OK with him. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I cannot say with certainty whether John M. had a drivers license but I do have some nice images of him behind the wheel. The two above are examples. I doubt whether any law enforcement official would be too tough on him given his status in the community and, in fact, I am not sure exactly when drivers licenses were required by law. However I do have an article about him being picked up for speeding! If interested I could look it up.

Regarding the photos above these are from my personal collection. The top one will be on the inside front cover of the May/June 2009 issue of the Antique Studebaker Review which has a rather comprehensive article on Studebaker and the Lincoln Highway. The explanation re the photo goes like this:

The second photo is John M. in his Electric motoring down the long driveway of his home Sunnyside
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks Richard. That's the best response I could have hoped for! Maybe there's something there for Almanac article? Studebaker executives and their cars. I know it's been touched on a few times. Thanks again.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

RE: Second photo...

If that is tiller steering that J.M. is holding with his right hand, where is it attached to the car[?] Seems most went down through the floorboard near the center of the car. Does this one go out the driver's side[?]

KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yes. "From the advanced thinking of Studebaker."

Richard Quinn
            editor: Antique Studebaker Review
            Richard Quinn

Comment

couple of questions. Whatsa pole tax ?

One photo shows JMS driving leftside with tiller , second photo shows Flivver driver leftside - all good so far - but now we see JMS driving rightside ?? Now I'm confused. If Henry F built Model T 's driver on the LEFT .... And I assume Mr.Chevrolet did the same ... what gives with Studebaker RH drive ?

Never saw one of those at the Fillin' station ....

Hey Andy .....Hey Goob

Canadoug

Comment

Not only does that tiller exit on the left side, it also angles back. This means that one would lift to go left and push down to go right (or possibly vice-versa)! Quite an unusual arrangement. Also, the bodywork and running-gear show their roots in Carriage building. It looks like a beautiful car.[:X] I'd love to see one up close.[]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There was a considerable amount of controversy re left hand vs right hand drive in the period prior to c1915. Most, but not all, auto companies, utilized RHD during that era. Studebaker adopted the LHD drive in 1914 for all domestic cars.

Re the steering on the Electric the next time you are in South Bend you can examine the workings of that tiller arrangements on the three Electrics on display.

Richard Quinn
                  editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Not trying to hyjack the thread, but Dick mentioned steering arrangements and positions on early cars during the industry shake-out as to what would be the basic elements of motor car design.

Those of you who receive Hemmings Classic Car, be sure to read the wonderful article on the survivor, essentially unrestored, 1906 Black Motor Buggy starting on Page 54.

It has a steering wheel and RHC. On Page 56, the caption for the steering wheel says, "with just a third of a turn from lock to lock, the steering is pretty tricky!"

YIPES; one-third turn lock-to-lock...high up on a wobbly 1906 vehicle to boot! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Canadoug

couple of questions. Whatsa pole tax ?

Canadoug
                      Not 'pole', but 'poll' as spelled by RQ. It's a fee to be able to vote.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Quote:
                        I cannot say with certainty whether John M. had a drivers license but I do have some nice images of him behind the wheel. The two above are examples. I doubt whether any law enforcement official would be too tough on him given his status in the community and, in fact, I am not sure exactly when drivers licenses were required by law. However I do have an article about him being picked up for speeding! If interested I could look it up.

My dad told me he got his first Wisconsin drivers license when he was 14, that would have been 1922. He had to mail in 50 cents. I think he also said that for the first two years it was an option to have one or not.

Tim K.
                        '64 R2 GT Hawk
                        Tim K.
                        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                        X