new paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new paint

My car was jambed at least 8 weeks ago. This included the final coat in places like the fender aprons and some other places too, of course. I will be asking the body/paint person about this but would like to hear some ideas from those who have had some experience painting cars.

While putting parts of the car together for the final paint job I have noticed that if two parts happen to rub together-not hard-just typical touching while being assembled that the paint scratches off down to the primer.[:0] I though that the clear coat would be hard and would keep this from happening.

Right or wrong, I do plan to stick with the fellow who is doing my work so starting over in sot an option, even though some may think I should.

What I need to know is what kinds of questions should I ask the fellow doing the painting that may lead him into making some kind of positive change?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana[:0]

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Problem is not the paint but the touching. Even a "light" touch can generate a lot of pressure at a small point of contact. Result is what happened to you.

When I assemble, I probably use as much blue masking tape as I used when I shot the body.

Best way is to Jamb the doors, body and fenders - Assemble - Then spray the car. Assembly after painting while handling doors and fenders develops the ability to do quality touch-up.

Bob

Comment

When I painted the 62 ragtop that I have since sold, I painted the body shell, (less engine/trans, no doors, deck lid, front sheet metal. Then as I painted the deck lid and doors, I hung them and got them off the stands. Takes a LOT of extra time to do it without scratching ot nicking the paint, but the results are well worth it.
      I will be re painting my 63 Avanti this summer, (after the house is done) and I will pull the hood, doors, deck lid and engine trans to do so. I will be going back Black as she came from the factory in October 1962!

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
      X