1964 Superhawk Dash Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Superhawk Dash Lights

Which gauges were red in the dash lights?

Was the powershift indicator light red?

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
    Oakville, Ontario.
    Hamilton Chapter
    See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

yes and I don't know.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Allen, your question got me to haul out the parts book. I found that all the gages, even the clock, had red bulbs. Actually all the gages that were meant to have red bulbs have a different part number, I think and someone can correct me on this, that the insides were painted differently or the plastic light diffusers were a different color. I can only find one listing for the bulb for the floor shift indicator (curiously it is listed under BLUB in the alphabetical index) even the green Jet Thrust pages don't make any mention of a red bulb there.
      One last trip to the parts books indicates that there is a red bulb available for the radio also, don't forget that one. Now do you think they used red bulbs for the ignition switch and cigar lighter?
      After hours of painstaking research I find that there is a red bulb called out for the cigar lighter, but none for the ignition switch. How about that?

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Put a red bulb in the indicator, regardless of what's correct... Red lighting is just cool.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, that wouldn't be correct!

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

So?

[)]

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The Gauges for '64's have Clear light windows and RED bulbs, the gauges for the clear bulbs have robin egg BLUE light windows.

'64's have ALL Red interior lighting, Tach., Clock, Speedo, Gauges, and Radio. The Bulbs are GE #57TR Transparent Red, on Daytonas the switch lighting bulbs are the smaller ones, #53TR They also have alternative #'s 1883 and 1885 or something, I do not remember the exact 1800 #.

I do not know about the Shift Indicator bulb, but if it was mine, I would try it with RED and if it lights enough to see the markings, I would go for it like Matt, just let em [u]find</u> that one!! [}]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I don't care to much about the judges, I was just driving about tonight with my girlfriend. We drove into the next town and grabbed a hot chocolate in on of those coffee houses, sat around and chatted a while. On the way I was looking at the gauges and wondered if some of them are suppose to be white. I used to have a red one on my shifter but it burnt out last week and I replaced it with a clear bulb. I don't like it,... just seems to bright.

Anyway my hawk is running really nice, I replaced the HD torque converter with a rebuilt one and rebuilt my powershift with a kit from Myers this early spring. The transmission shifts beautifully, the engine is powerful and everything is really tight. I'm finally happy with the drivetrain,....well I'll be working on the differential next week trading up to 3.54:1 That should be just a bit more fun.

Thanks for the replies, Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                Oakville, Ontario.
                Hamilton Chapter
                See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

All dash gauges had red lights in 64.
                  Powershift indicator light was NOT red.

Comment

finding the red bulbs is difficult, but there are a couple ways to make your own.

1) red nail polish
                    2) transparent red paint (e.g. "candy apple")
                    3) special paint sold at hobby stores to make fake "stained glass"
                    4) little "bulb condoms" made by Auto Meter that just slip over the bulb

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Protection is one thing, but "bulb condoms" is going to far!

Comment

Working...
                      X