41 Trunk handle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 Trunk handle help

I getting parts ready to have replated and trying to take apart the truk handle. There appears to be a square key on the shaft. Does this key tap out?

I'm including a picture.

Thanks in advance.

1941 Champion 3G Coupe

"Life's too short.. Eat your cake first"

Robert Kidwell - Pleasant View, Tennessee 37146

Proud new member of the SDC
    My Stude Project

The parts book calls that thing a "Pawl". There's a notch in it that you can't see since it's into the handle shaft. And tho the drawing's not clear enough to show it, there's also a pin that MAY keep that pawl from coming out. See if you can see that pin going thru the shaft about where the upper edge of that pawl is. If it looks like that pin intersects the pawl, my guess is the pin would have to come out to liberate the pawl piece.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I scored a new handle w/keys off ebay recently and since the old handle had no key I decided to just saw the pawl off. Appears the pawl moves in and out of the shaft "with a key". I've read that you can drill a certain spot to remove the key tumbler but since I'm not a locksmith replacement was my only option. Thanks for your help. -robert
      quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

The parts book calls that thing a "Pawl". There's a notch in it that you can't see since it's into the handle shaft. And tho the drawing's not clear enough to show it, there's also a pin that MAY keep that pawl from coming out. See if you can see that pin going thru the shaft about where the upper edge of that pawl is. If it looks like that pin intersects the pawl, my guess is the pin would have to come out to liberate the pawl piece.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

1941 Champion 3G Coupe

"Life's too short.. Eat your cake first"

Robert Kidwell - Pleasant View, Tennessee 37146

Proud new member of the SDC
      My Stude Project

Comment