Stude-uh-baker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude-uh-baker?

Just watched the Tulsa video in another post, and once again I notice how clumsy the name of our car sounds when spoken by those unfamiliar with the name. News media people and ad narrators for instance. It always sounds to me like they are saying Stude-ah-baker or Stude-uh-baker. We on the other hand, tend to say Stude-eh-baker or even Stude-ee-baker. Anyone ever notice that?

[img][img]
    Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

I've noticed that. I wonder how the brothers pronounced their own name? Of course, folks slaughter my last name all the time. When I correct them (which I don't always bother to), they'll look at it again and say: "Oh yeah! Just like it looks!"

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Stude-ee-baker?
      Never heard that one...but then again, I haven't been to the Clampetts lately for vittles and a dip in the "ceement pond".

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If the brothers had a German accent it might have gone something like "Shhhtute-a-baaga"
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

My elderly neighbor has called it : "Stude-ah-bay-kee", the "Tude-ah-baker", the and the "Rutebega". He loves it though.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

I girl from Lancaster Pa. just Transferred to NC. She saw my screen saver and told me she used to drive a Stud-eee-baker.

Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I've noticed that. I wonder how the brothers pronounced their own name? Of course, folks slaughter my last name all the time. When I correct them (which I don't always bother to), they'll look at it again and say: "Oh yeah! Just like it looks!"
              How can you slaughter 'Biggs'?

[)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I think's it mite bee spelled Stewedeebaka. Ain't
                I rite? I am too busy enjoying mine to worry about
                grammer. And I don't mean my Grandmother.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Well Tom, just like your real name ain't Swifster - my real name ain't Biggs[:0] It's K A B C H E F. For grins, I tell folks that if they can't remember (or pronounce) it, just remember TAXI COOK.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Flashback

I am too busy enjoying mine to worry about
                    grammer.

Tex E. Grier
                    Best post I've seen on here this week. [^]

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

I remember the first time I saw Bigg's name tag, I asked him if registration had spelled his name correctly!

[img][img]
                      Dwain G.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

After seeing the Producers on Broadway with Bialashtock & Bloom, we now call ours the Shtootenbahker. Emphasis on the Shtooten!

Comment

Last year, my wife and I attended a car show here in Montana. Wonderful people, and we had a great time. We were the only Studebaker present, and most there had never seen a Studebaker before. A week or so later, some friends sent us the clipping from the local paper that featured our '59 Deluxe. While thrilled that we made the front page of this small towns paper. We sure got a laugh about Studebaker being misspelled not once, but twice in the clipping!

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 Deluxe '59 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
                          I own time machines.....

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studemaker
                            We sure got a laugh about Studebaker being misspelled not once, but twice in the clipping!

Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana
                            Tim, they probably thought with all of the neat modifications you have done, it couldn't possibly be a "Studebaker". [}]

<h5>Mark
                            '57 Transtar Deluxe
                            Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                            May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                            http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                            </h5>
                            Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander

Comment

Since the family name is an Americanization of the German Staudenbecker (say "SHTAOW-den-beck-ur" with a California Gubernator accent), seems to me it's pretty much dealer's choice.

Got to love that Shtootenbecker, though...

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Working...
                              X