Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDEBAKER where quality is more than just a word.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDEBAKER where quality is more than just a word.

A few days ago a fellow that hangs out at one of the places where I buy parts for my 1950 Bulletnose project gave me A nice "license plate" for my Studebaker.

He used to work for a Ford dealership in a neighboring county and when cars were traded in with vanity type plates on them he would take them off and save them. He estimates that he has around 500 of them. This one is a dark charcoal color with gold writing on it-very classy looking. It has STUDEBAKER across the top and underneath it has "Where Quality is More Than Just A Word." Following this in smaller letters much like one would put TM to indicate trademark it has SM. It is made of plastic and has 4 holes in it that match regular license plate holes.

Can someone tell me if the phrase on it was one of the Studebaker sayings used in advertising or if it was more apt to have been a local "theme?"

Also, for what might the SM stand.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me regarding this.

Sincerely,

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Sounds like a dealer showroom plate. I have a '60 Lark version. Sounds like your friend has a great collection. [^]

Comment

There was a dealer named Studebaker in Richmond, IN that sold Buicks and other GM makes and I think that was his slogan. Maybe Bob Palma can verify.

Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO
      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

Hmmm. sounds like something the Local South Bend Autoworkers Union could have commissioned to be made!

That or The Studebaker Corp. like the bumper stickers they had in the 1960's that said: "Buy Studebaker, it's Indiana made!"

Edit: That is too cool Gary! Studebaker Pontiac, Buick, GMC? I would go there and demand to buy a Studebaker!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

SM stands for "service mark". To service mark a phrase is sort of like trademarking it, but there is some legal distinction that I can't explain.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
          Holdrege NE
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

There was a dealer named Studebaker in Richmond, IN that sold Buicks and other GM makes and I think that was his slogan. Maybe Bob Palma can verify.

Gary Sanders
            Good memory, Gary! Yes, Studebaker Buick-GMC is still in business in Richmond IN, or was maybe six months ago when I drove past while in that part of the state. The Studebaker family there in Wayne County is fairly well heeled (from what I've heard; my wife is a native of that county), so they should be weathering the economic storm OK.

An interesting oddity is this: The Studebaker automotive group in Richmond IN also has an International truck franchise in another location in Wayne County IN. The truck dealership name? Studebaker International, of course!

So in East Central Indiana, we have two automotive enterprises named Studebaker International: Ed Reynolds' place vending Studebaker parts, and a franchised truck dealer maybe 70 miles due east of Ed's place with exactly the same name![8D]

Edit: I see they've added Pontiac...but maybe not for long, eh? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
            X