This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Studebaker ONLY achievements

I hope others can add to this list. Here's what makes Studebaker unique among car companies in the US.

Only one to successfully transition from horse drawn vehicles (I call successful being in business 10 years or more after stopping buggy production).

Only one to come out of receivership in the depression (true?)

Longest lived independent car maker in US history.

Only car make that can claim to have made vehicles used in the Civil War.

First US car maker to use foreign components in production models (Mercedes Benz door latches on Avantis) (THIS one I'm not sure about).

Longest surviving Indiana car maker.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

A few 1960 Chrysler 300F cars were built with the French Pont-a-Mousson 4 speed tranny, so that would beat the Avanti door locks.

Have read that in 1940? Studebaker was the first manufacturer to give a new car franchise to a minority-owned dealer.

Below are according to the listing included with my 1966 Press Kit:

1913: First to produce a six-cylinder car to sell for less than $2,000.
    1927: First to use mechanical fuel pump.
    1930: First to use carburetor silencer and automatic spark control.
    1931: First to introduce "Free Wheeling".
    1935: First overdrive transmission.
    1937: First variable ratio steering gear.
    1948: First truck with enclosed cab step.
    1950: First air-cooled torque converter transmission.
    1952: First mechanical power steering.
    1954: First self-centering, self-energizing brakes
    1956: First limited slip differntial, flared fin brake drums, acoustical sound-deadening headlining. First overdrive transmissions in light & medium duty trucks.

Chris Collins
    63 Avanti R-2
    66 Cruiser

Comment

A few 1960 Chrysler 300F cars were built with the French Pont-a-Mousson 4 speed tranny, so that would beat the Avanti door locks.

Have read that in 1940? Studebaker was the first manufacturer to give a new car franchise to a minority-owned dealer.

Below are according to the listing included with my 1966 Press Kit:

1913: First to produce a six-cylinder car to sell for less than $2,000.
      1927: First to use mechanical fuel pump.
      1930: First to use carburetor silencer and automatic spark control.
      1931: First to introduce "Free Wheeling".
      1935: First overdrive transmission.
      1937: First variable ratio steering gear.
      1948: First truck with enclosed cab step.
      1950: First air-cooled torque converter transmission.
      1952: First mechanical power steering.
      1954: First self-centering, self-energizing brakes
      1956: First limited slip differntial, flared fin brake drums, acoustical sound-deadening headlining. First overdrive transmissions in light & medium duty trucks.

Chris Collins
      63 Avanti R-2
      66 Cruiser

Comment

Yes, that's right about the franchise. I forgot about that one. Let's add that to the list. I thought the Avanti door latches might not be a first.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Yes, that's right about the franchise. I forgot about that one. Let's add that to the list. I thought the Avanti door latches might not be a first.

Comment

What about Hill Holder? Did Stude come up with that or just use them? What about insert bearings?

Comment

What about Hill Holder? Did Stude come up with that or just use them? What about insert bearings?

Comment

How about seat belts? I thought Studebaker was the first maker to have seatbelts as standard equipment? Oh! And padded dashes too!

Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

How about seat belts? I thought Studebaker was the first maker to have seatbelts as standard equipment? Oh! And padded dashes too!

Lotsa Larks!
                  Ron Smith
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote: How about seat belts? I thought Studebaker was the first maker to have seatbelts as standard equipment? Oh! And padded dashes too!
                    Nash was the first to offer seat belts as standard equipment in 1950. Buyers resisted though, and the dealers started cutting them off. They were not standard in 51. I had a 50 Chrysler with a padded dash.

Studebaker was first with a styling feature that almost every other maunfacturer copied and that was flaired wheel openings. Compare the 50-52 Studebaker wheel opening to the 50 Ford.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote: How about seat belts? I thought Studebaker was the first maker to have seatbelts as standard equipment? Oh! And padded dashes too!
                      Nash was the first to offer seat belts as standard equipment in 1950. Buyers resisted though, and the dealers started cutting them off. They were not standard in 51. I had a 50 Chrysler with a padded dash.

Studebaker was first with a styling feature that almost every other maunfacturer copied and that was flaired wheel openings. Compare the 50-52 Studebaker wheel opening to the 50 Ford.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Actually the 1948 Tucker Torpedo was the 1st to come with a padded dash as standard equipment..

Comment

Actually the 1948 Tucker Torpedo was the 1st to come with a padded dash as standard equipment..

Comment

I forgot about the hill holder. I think Studebaker was the first with that. I didn't know about the wheel opening flaring. That's interesting.

How about adding this to the list: Studebaker's founder(s) were born before any other auto manufacturing founder.

Comment

I forgot about the hill holder. I think Studebaker was the first with that. I didn't know about the wheel opening flaring. That's interesting.

How about adding this to the list: Studebaker's founder(s) were born before any other auto manufacturing founder.

Comment

Working...
                              X