GOOD fuel pressure regulator???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOOD fuel pressure regulator???

OK, I give. I converted Pete (the Transtar) to an electric fuel pump when he got a fresh engine 16 months back.
    The first fuel pump I put on was a Holley. It was WAY more pump than I needed and I eventually was able to return it as well as the expensive pressure regulator it required.

I then went with one of the Facet brand pumps that all the parts places are selling nowdays. It works fine and I have no complaint about it's function.....except. I'm on my FOURTH fuel pressure regulator now! Actually, this fourth one was discovered to have "gone south" about a week ago. But since it's failure manifested itself in a minor wetting, I didn't drop what I was doing to fix it. Then yesterday I had to go cross town on an errand. When I came out of the store, I could see the gas spot on the blacktop from 50 yards away! Gotta fix it! Can anyone recommend a brand of regulator (adjustable preferably) that works and is durable?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Holley also sells regulators. I used one about 20 years ago, and it worked fine. I don't know about the new one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Have you tried it without a regulator. My experience with those Facet pumps is one is not needed. If you need it. Holley #12-803 4.5-9psi, #12-804 1-4 psi
      I have #12-803 in front of me. The price sticker on the box says 25.99. Can't say how good they are as I never installed it.

Comment

Bob, I had the smaller regulator and it worked fine. I used it on a 225 slant six.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The only experience I have with these was with my Avanti. I had a Holley Blue and the accompanying regulator (and a raft of other regulator types also) . They all failed, until I bought a regulator with a bleed off port. Try a Mallory 4309. Use one of the extra ports for a bleed off line and plumb it back to the gas supply line just before the pump inlet. You don't have to run any return line back to the tank, just to a point before the pump.
          (of course I had my pump, mounted on the frame right under my foot)

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
          55 President State Sedan
          70 Avanti (R3)
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I have a Holly Red 7 psi max. electric fuel pump mounted back by the gas tank with a "Mister Carburetor" pressure regulator located in the engine compartment with fuel pressure set at 4 psi. I have this set up on both the Lark and the Hawk - the Lark for about 5 years now, the Hawk only 1 year, but so far have experienced no problems.

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            56 Power Hawk
            Phil Hendrickson
            Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            56 Power Hawk
            Phil Hendrickson
            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

The pump I've run on the 1964 Cruiser since 1994, is brand name Master, by the Master Parts Division out of Fairfield, IL. Its Solid-State Elect Fuel Pump from Auto Zone, part #E8012S, and the box has a smaller "254" hand stamped after the "S". Not sure what the pressure is, but I run it to an AFB without using a regulator.

The original failed last summer, and AZ replaced it with an identical pump at no cost.

Mine sits on the outboard side of the right frame rail above the flang and just in front of the rear spring mount. I do not hear it with the engine running, but when you just turn the key you do, and then you hear the tone change once the line/bowl is full.

Comment

I run a Carter pump into Holley without a regulator and have had no problem. The Holley #12-803 is a dual outlet regulator, not sure about the lower pressure one.

Comment

Worse case put two regulators in series, first regulator drops the pressure some, the second regulator drops the pressure to what is desired. Now, I say this in case one regulator can't make the total drop without failing, second thought this may be a dumb suggestion.

Comment

Here in Ohio ,their is 10 percent ethonol (misspelled) in our fuel. I know this will eat up regular gas hose and ruin older electric pumps and regulators. Might pay to check with mfg. on rather regulators will except the present gas available. I have to drop my tank shortly and change to fuel injected hose to keep from having future problems.

Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Ditto on the recommendation of trying the "facet" brand without a regulator Bob. I run one on my 53pu and just installed one on a customers 63 lark. Gotta another customer that has been running one for some time without a regulator also.
                      Russ
                      quote:Originally posted by leyrret

Have you tried it without a regulator. My experience with those Facet pumps is one is not needed. If you need it. Holley #12-803 4.5-9psi, #12-804 1-4 psi
                      I have #12-803 in front of me. The price sticker on the box says 25.99. Can't say how good they are as I never installed it.

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                      57 SH (project)
                      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                      57 SH (project)
                      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
                      X