Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can i get a supercharger my 55 stude 259 cu

this is a 1955 president coup 6H-C5

If you are looking for the Paxton setup, ebay is a good bet. You might also try some of the ads in the back of Turning Wheels. I saw a couple of them at the Omaha meet, but they were all sold. Be prepared to have the supercharger rebuilt, as they are all getting old now.

Comment

Also, keep in mind, just because it came off a Studebaker V8, it most likely won't fit under the hood of your '55 coupe.

There were four main variations you might encounter:
      1957-58 Golden Hawk
      1958 Packard and Packard Hawk
      1963-64 Avanti
      1963-64 Hawk and Lark
      (The R3 variants are so rare and expensive, they don't come up often enough to worry about.)

AFAIK, none of these is a bolt-on for your car. JDP had a good list recently about the changes necessary to fit your car.

The other thing to consider if your engine has some miles on it - unless you have recently rebuilt your 259 with the new and right parts to hold the supercharger boost, all you will be pressurizing is the crankcase. Worse, the added load can put borderline bearings and oil pressure into failure mode.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

You could also watch for a setup off a 57 - 58 Stude that used the McCullough blower. Of course, it used a 2-bbl instead of the 4-bbl that the later Paxton setup used.
        Either way, if you plan on using the stock mountings, you're gonna have clearance problems with the hood.
        I might add that it's the 57 Packards and 58 Packard Hawk that also used the McCullough system as well as 57-58 Golden Hawks.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Also you might try some other after-market superchargers?

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I found out something recently that I didn't know before. I wondered why the McCullough supercharger ended up being a Paxton, well the old boy that started the whole deal was Robert Paxton McCullough. Paxton is definately easier to spell than McCullough, maybe that was the reason!

Comment

All of the '53-'55 SC setups I have seen have the blower unit off to the passenger side of the engine with a cutout in the inner fender to clear. The results look quite good. The nice thing about the McCullough type blower is that you can rotate it around to mount it about anywhere.

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff

I found out something recently that I didn't know before. I wondered why the McCullough supercharger ended up being a Paxton, well the old boy that started the whole deal was Robert Paxton McCullough. Paxton is definately easier to spell than McCullough, maybe that was the reason!
                Not quite, John

McCullough sold his company, but not the supercharger division. Since his surname went with the company, the superchargers became Paxtons. That's the Coles Notes version, anyhow.

Same thing happened with spark plugs, too. Allen Champion sold Champion Spark Plugs, and came back later as AC Spark Plugs.

And Ransom E. Olds sold the Olds Motor Corp to GM, and came back later as REO.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord, I guess that lends credence to the saying "You can't keep a good man down".

Comment

I still have a good McCulloch VS57 and the airbox for the two barrel. I don't have the tension arm/pulley assembly or anything else that would be needed. Email off forum if interested.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    33 Rockne 10
                    51 Commander Starlight
                    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

All of the '53-'55 SC setups I have seen have the blower unit off to the passenger side of the engine with a cutout in the inner fender to clear.
                      Here's Scott Hall's set up in his Speedster...

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X