Bendix disc brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendix disc brake question

Whats the feeling on how much drag there should be on the late model Studebaker disc brakes. I find that mine seem to have too much drag after I recently bleed the system .
    I removed the pucks and moved the pistons back into the calipers with no problem , no sign of any leaks or being seized. Are they suppost to be this tight ?
    Also how thick or thin I guess should these pads be before you replace them ?

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

They will drag fairly good when you turn by hand, but the force of
    the car turning the wheels should back the pistons off more then you
    can do by hand. Its a combination of the turning of the rotor and
    wobble of the rotor due to play in the wheel bearing and warpage.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom's right. You don't get full push back until the car is being driven. Unless they get hot when driving, not to worry. Replace them before you get metal against metal, say 1/8" Pads are cheap, new rotors are not.

Comment

Working...
      X