This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know White Wall size for 56 Champion

I need to know the size of the white wall ,not tire size for 56 Champion.Need to order new shoes for the car and don't want a white wall thats to big or small. What size were they from the factory?

Orlando FLA
    Orlando FLA

S1; In the day, when I saw plenty of new '56 Studes. Usually in our driveway, my Dad was a Stude. salesman. I remember the correct look, but certainly never measured any. I can tell you this, they were Firestone Deluxe Champions with a protruding sidewall protector rib about 3/8" to 1/2" wide around the outside of the whitewall. The whitewall could not have been over about 2 1/2 in. and of course it went all the way to the rim.

By 1956 the tire Co's had gotten away from those ugly super wide white walls that go almost to the shoulder near the tread. They were EARLY '50's and you see too many new classic Coker etc. tires like that on '56 to '62's that just look WRONG! [xx(] Your car had 6.40 X 15's on it and sometimes people start with the right width whitewall in a small size like that, but increase it up a size or two, and somehow end up with a WIDER whitewall in the new repro radials than it should be!

Studebaker did use the next larger size, 6.70 X 15 on the 56G Champion powered Flight Hawk, Stationwagon, Taxi, Policecar and as an option on all 56G's. That would work, as long as the whitewall is not too wide.
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

S1; In the day, when I saw plenty of new '56 Studes. Usually in our driveway, my Dad was a Stude. salesman. I remember the correct look, but certainly never measured any. I can tell you this, they were Firestone Deluxe Champions with a protruding sidewall protector rib about 3/8" to 1/2" wide around the outside of the whitewall. The whitewall could not have been over about 2 1/2 in. and of course it went all the way to the rim.

By 1956 the tire Co's had gotten away from those ugly super wide white walls that go almost to the shoulder near the tread. They were EARLY '50's and you see too many new classic Coker etc. tires like that on '56 to '62's that just look WRONG! [xx(] Your car had 6.40 X 15's on it and sometimes people start with the right width whitewall in a small size like that, but increase it up a size or two, and somehow end up with a WIDER whitewall in the new repro radials than it should be!

Studebaker did use the next larger size, 6.70 X 15 on the 56G Champion powered Flight Hawk, Stationwagon, Taxi, Policecar and as an option on all 56G's. That would work, as long as the whitewall is not too wide.
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks ,StudeRich
        Was looking on the Coker website and the closest they have is 2 1/8 white wall for 6.40x15's .Would that look ok?

Orlando FLA
        Orlando FLA

Comment

Thanks ,StudeRich
          Was looking on the Coker website and the closest they have is 2 1/8 white wall for 6.40x15's .Would that look ok?

Orlando FLA
          Orlando FLA

Comment

That should be close enough, are they Firestone repops?
            (See my revised first post.)

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That should be close enough, are they Firestone repops?
              (See my revised first post.)

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just read the revised post, I've thought about the 6.70's. Maybe a little better ride? Thanks for all the info.

Orlando FLA
                Orlando FLA

Comment

Just read the revised post, I've thought about the 6.70's. Maybe a little better ride? Thanks for all the info.

Orlando FLA
                  Orlando FLA

Comment

Yes they are firestones

Orlando FLA
                    Orlando FLA

Comment

Yes they are firestones

Orlando FLA
                      Orlando FLA

Comment

Working...