Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Jeff and other classic rodders...

Jeff,

Understand completely what your saying about ride height. On the other note, there's no way you can weld in a Fatman and still maintain spot-on geometry without either tweeking the frame or crossmember. Since the '37 coupe express (and I'm assuming Dictator also) has so many contours to the frame, it just seemed easier for me to modify the frame (which is basically kinda defeating the purpose of installing an after market mustang II). I set the frame at exactly 3 degrees forward rake, then fabricated a 1/4 inch thick by 12" long, 3 1/2" high, retro fit frame insert. The insert was installed level (with the frame still @ 3 deg rake). I then cut a 12" section of the stock frame upper and lower rails. The insert was then welded 1 1/4" lower than stock, basically giving me an added 1 1/4" lift. If that's not enough, I'll see about modifying the front "plow" (grill) at a later date. I just posted a shot of the insert tonight. Also, the reason for making the frame insert 12", when a crossmember only takes up 4-5", was done to possibly relocate the centerline later (hope I don't have to go there!). I want to avoid biting my lip every time I go over a speed bump, If I can! Jimmy http://community.webshots.com/user/Jimmy655

Jimmy,
    I like your methodology of building a new 'level' shelf of a lower frame lip for the new crossmember to set up on. A good, solid solution that is better than fishplating the gaps.
    Good work!
    Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Jeff...It's a new level lower, with matching new upper too. I've got a full 12" of exactly 3.5" building platform. The drivers side took me 10 hrs to make, but the second one is always faster, especially if I'm able to hunt done some 1/4" boxing instead of making it out of 6" stock plate from scratch. I think half the time making it was cutting the metal.....Santa says no plasma-cutter in his bag this year! I'll post another picture when it's all boxed and trimmed............Jimmy

Comment

Working...
      X